SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SudokuSolver v4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:40 am 
Site Admin

So work is progressing slowly on SudokuSolver. I have been putting together a generator and was hoping to make it relatively stand-alone.

I had a prototype generator working using a simple back-track algorithm but it was proving too slow for killers and larger Gattai, so I bit the bullet and decided to implement a DLX solver, which has taken me a while. Building one for simple Sudoku puzzles was easy enough, but adding in Killer took a lot of design and programming to keep the DLX matrix small and efficient. Then adapting the DLX to include all the other puzzle variants (diagonal, non-con, anti-chess, etc.)

It's just about there but I have come to the conclusion that I need to integrate it back into the main program, as I need to use some of the solving routines to assist in generation.

Now comes the problem . . . to provide an efficient generator, I needed to adopt a new internal representation of the puzzle, so I'll need to adapt the solving routines to the new model - much more of an overhaul than I'd hoped.

I'll hopefully be able to keep the user interface pretty much the same, but I suspect I may not be able to maintain full backward compatibility with old SSV save files - the Load routine is already fairly messy trying to cater for V1, V2 and V3 formats of the file.

All this is taking time . . . but it will get there.

Post subject: Re: SudokuSolver v4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well done. The sense of achievement is a strong motivation to see this through! The silent majority will also enjoy the fantastic potential of this software when it sees the light!

Tarek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:05 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
So work is progressing slowly on SudokuSolver v4. .... but I suspect I may not be able to maintain full backward compatibility with old SSV save files .....but it will get there.
Thanks Richard! If it can at least be compatible with V3 files please?? If not, I would like to have both versions of SS on my computer. So much information in saved files I would hate to lose that info.

I would be happy with just a basic generator in v3 if the v4 is too much. Your ideas you've shown us means it is giving quite unique cage patterns.

Merry Christmas!!
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

You know I'm happy!! I can't wait to see that generator at work! :applause: :ok: :bouncy: :dance: :salute: ;clapclap; :santa:

Like Ed, I would like to be able to keep both v3 and v4 on my computer if there's no way to maintain backward compatibility. However, there aren't many puzzles I keep in a partially-solved state.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:26 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Richard, any update on this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:23 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, again, Richard! I do hope your schedule is allowing you to make some progress on this. I am very much looking forward to this release (as I'm sure others are).