SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Børge's Corner
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

enxio27 wrote:
Which should I select when it asks about uniqueness solvers? I'm trying it now with "trust the grid designer", but it's clearly going to take a while.
  • Disable: disables all uniqueness test solvers.
  • Trust: If you trust that the puzzle designer has created a puzzle with a single unique solution you can use this one.
    Any Uniqueness Test, which involves cells in overlapping nonets is not advisable, and probably an error.
  • Check: Mostly useful for puzzle creation.

enxio27 wrote:
ETA: I tried it all three ways, and it quickly got hung up. When I tried "recursively solve", it solved it almost immediately.
Please be a little bit patient. For Glyn Samurai #3A here the times on my old PC with a 3GHz Pentium 4 processor:
  • Check: < 7 seconds.
  • Trust: < 5 seconds.

enxio27 wrote:
OK, now I feel as though I'm in the Twilight Zone. I retried the Clueless Special 4a (above), and now I get the same techniques listing that you do!
I wish I could remember now whether I invoked the recursive solver first before trying the "deduce all moves". I think I may have. I have since learned that JSudoku doesn't reset the solvers and other selections (for instance, uniqueness test) unless you repaste the puzzle code.
I tried the following, but was not able to reproduce the recursive solve at the end of solving Ruud's Clueless Special #4a.
  1. Started JSudoku.
  2. Pasted in the sudoku code for Ruud's Clueless Special #4a
  3. Solve > Recursively Solve
  4. Edit > Reset Grid
  5. Solve > Deduce All Moves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:52 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Børge wrote:
Please be a little bit patient. For Glyn Samurai #3A here the times on my old PC with a 3GHz Pentium 4 processor:
  • Check: < 7 seconds.
  • Trust: < 5 seconds.

Ok, I'll give it another shot.

Quote:
I tried the following, but was not able to reproduce the recursive solve at the end of solving Ruud's Clueless Special #4a.
  1. Started JSudoku.
  4. Edit > Reset Grid

Instead of "reset grid", substitute "undo recursively solve" and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:42 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

enxio27 wrote:
Børge wrote:
  1. Started JSudoku.
  4. Edit > Reset Grid

Instead of "reset grid", substitute "undo recursively solve" and see what happens.

Thanks, I am now able to reproduce what you get, using the following sequence of commands:
  1. Paste (Ctrl+V) in the sudoku code for Ruud's Clueless Special #4a
  2. Solve > Recursively Solve
  3. Edit > Undo Recursively Solve
  4. Solve > Deduce All Moves

When using the same sequence of commands with Glyn Samurai #3A, it seems that no Recursive Solve is automatically done. If I after the above sequence of commands, do an additional Recursive Solve, "2 Recursively Solve" are listed. To me this is a bug, which J-C to my knowledge has corrected for all other solvers in version 1.5b1 and later.

Up to and including version 1.4b2 of JSudoku this was a bug with all solvers. I noticed when for instance making a puzzle, which required one Skyscraper, and if I after the Skyscraper was deployed the first time undid and redid it 4 times, 5 Skyscraper would be listed in the "Techniques used" log.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

For the Regular Master level puzzles I normally state the advanced technique(s) required to solve the puzzle.
And for each advanced technique I specify the grid(s) it should be deployed in and the digit(s) it is on as cloaked text.

As an example, here Regular Samurai #45C :
C) Master (16 Intersection, 2 Naked Pair, 1 XY-Chain on 1 with 6 cells in g3, 1 Y-Wing on 1 with {19} pincers in g3). Select to view details.

Sometimes I would prefer not to reveal neither the number of advanced techniques required, nor the advanced techniques themselves.
At the same time if the puzzle solver gets stuck, I want to provide the opportunity to reveal each technique, the grid(s) it should be deployed in, the digit(s) it is on and optionally further information, to allow the puzzle solver to continue.

Here is how I will do this in the future:
C) Master:  Ultra Hard
List with cloaked techniques, digit(s) and grid(s):
Hidden Text:
Technique                 on Digit(s)              in Grid(s)

XY-Chain on 1 with 6 cells in g3
Y-Wing on 1 with {19} pincers in g3
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --
----- on - in --

Post subject: Terms of Use.
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:29 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Terms of Use

All sudoku puzzles (herafter called "The Sudoku Puzzles") in a forum post containing a link to this post are the intellectual property of Børge Alexander Tetlie Anderssen.
Copyright © 2008-2009 Børge Alexander Tetlie Anderssen. All rights reserved.

1. GENERAL PROHIBITION
Any citation, reference of or use of The Sudoku Puzzles, in part or in whole including image and Puzzle Code, related to any kind of propaganda, especially any kind of explicit or implicit racist, religious or political propaganda, expression or statement is verboten.

This prohibition is not limited to, but includes any explicit or implicit statement mentioning any kind of:
  1. race or racist belief, including origin, skin colour and any kind of impediment or similar.
  2. religion or religious belief including atheism.
  3. political party, belief or ideology.
  4. labour or employer union or alliance.

2. PRIVATE NON-COMMERCIAL USE
You may freely solve, quote, refer to, distribute, reproduce, store or otherwise use The Sudoku Puzzles for any private non-commercial purpose, including file sharing.
HERE you can find the Excel workbook used to produce the images for The Sudoku Puzzles. It is public domain.

3. PUBLIC NON-COMMERCIAL USE
Any public non-commercial distribution, publication, reproduction, storage, file sharing or other usage of The Sudoku Puzzles, in part or in whole including image and Puzzle Code, outside of this Internet forum MUST include the following information:
  1. Copyright © 2008-2009 Børge Alexander Tetlie Anderssen. All rights reserved.
  2. The exact URL of the forum post(s) containing The Sudoku Puzzles
    OR
    www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/forum   AND  www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2778#p2778
Any public non-commercial citation or reference of The Sudoku Puzzles, not including any image or Puzzle Code in part or in whole, is exempt from 3A and 3B.

4. COMMERCIAL USE
Any distribution, publication, reproduction, storage or other usage of The Sudoku Puzzles, in part or in whole including image and Puzzle Code, for any kind of commercial purpose is prohibited without prior written consent from the author and copyright holder Børge Alexander Tetlie Anderssen.
Commercial purposes are not limited to, but include:
  1. Any use of The Sudoku Puzzles, in part or in whole including image and Puzzle Code, for the purpose of sale or resale or for the purpose of producing an item containing the same information contained in The Sudoku Puzzles for the purposes of solicitation for financial gain.
  2. Using The Sudoku Puzzles, in part or in whole including image and Puzzle Code, in a document produced for sale.
  3. Using The Sudoku Puzzles, in part or in whole including image and Puzzle Code, in any way in which to anticipate monetary gain.

Any commercial citation or reference of The Sudoku Puzzles, not including any image or Puzzle Code is permitted without prior written consent from the author and copyright holder Børge Alexander Tetlie Anderssen.

5. DEFINITION OF Sudoku Puzzle Code
A Sudoku Puzzle Code is one or more consecutive lines of 81 digits stating the empty cells and given digits for a sudoku puzzle.
An empty cell is represented by the digit 0 (zero).

As an example, here the Sudoku Puzzle Code for Regular Samurai #8:
100000004000270900020050007057000000000008300038000090000000000000047000003001000
030000000000001000800070030602000001059007002000009006000080200000060000000004080
000000000000002000000000000004005002000001009208030407000000000000043000070290000
000090000000005000206004070000002080009400000560070204000030007051008403030100000
000000000000940000000070580003000040070200065500010000000001600400009002069050070

6. DISCLAIMER
ANY USE OF The Sudoku Puzzles IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. ALL The Sudoku Puzzles ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," WITH NO WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES WHATSOEVER, NOT EVEN THE GUARANTEE THAT A SOLUTION OR ONLY A SINGLE SOLUTION EXISTS.
EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW ARE ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, AND OTHER WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES, OR REPRESENTATIONS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.

7. AMENDMENT
At any time, these terms of use may be amended (including by modification, deletion and/or addition of any portion thereof).

CONTACT
If you have any questions regarding non-commercial use of The Sudoku Puzzles, please post your questions in this thread.
If you have any questions regarding commercial use of The Sudoku Puzzles, please send an e-mail to: Image

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well congrats on Norway winning the Eurovision this year. The song isn't exactly my favourite genre but it does sound nice. The dancers were very acrobatic too. :alien:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:45 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

udosuk wrote:
Well congrats on Norway winning the Eurovision this year. The song isn't exactly my favourite genre but it does sound nice. The dancers were very acrobatic too. :alien:
THANKS!!!
I did not watch the show ... not my kind of entertainment.
I spent yesterday evening coding on my sudoku stuff.
I didn't know that the show was broadcasted in Australia.

Many Norwegians are probably double happy today, since May 17 is the Norwegian Independence and Constitution Day.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:48 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

And that song has won with a record number of votes in history. And that song is in English too, which is not that often for winning songs in the contest.

Børge wrote:
I didn't know that the show was broadcasted in Australia.

It was broadcasted on the SBS channel, which is the by-default multi-cultural TV channel here. Ed would know this well.

Børge wrote:
Many Norwegians are probably double happy today, since May 17 is the Norwegian Independence and Constitution Day.

So happy Independence and Constitution Day! :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:56 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

udosuk wrote:
So happy Independence and Constitution Day! :cheers:
AGAIN THANKS A LOT.
To me, May 17 is an important day for celebrating the end of the 91 years long Swedish occupation of my beloved Norway in 1905.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:18 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

udosuk wrote:
the SBS channel, which is the by-default multi-cultural TV channel here. Ed would know this well.
My default channel - so yes, know it very well. :) Didn't watch much of this year's EuroVision. Prefer the British commentary (more scathing) from past years.

Sometimes I swear that udosuk spies on me!! ;)

Cheers
Ed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next