SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Down Under Upside Down

This looks like a variant puzzle but except for the cell values used there is nothing exotic about the puzzle itself - it has a unique solution under the standard Sudoku rules, i.e. each row/column/box has exactly one each from a set of 9 cell values. Everyone should see why I picked such a set of values if they look at the puzzle pic from multiple angles. In fact the name "Down Under Upside Down" has 3 layers of meanings - kudos to anyone who can figure out all 3. :alien:

The difficulty isn't anything special compared to the festival creatures, the metallic thingies or the new witchy-mirage-illusion crackers (all famous super-difficult vanilla Sudoku puzzles known in the web). However, if you're smart enough you can solve this one using very elegant simple moves, without any chain/ALS etc. In fact all the required tricks have been discussed over the web in the past, but it's a matter of whether you guys really want to learn them. :ugeek:

Anyway, I don't recommend it but if you really want to tackle this puzzle the "traditional way", here is a line-format using the values 1-9. But I'd really like to see players using the new set of 9 values just to appreciate the beauty of them. :geek:

This is the traditional line format::
006800000090070010300006402100000509000000000602000003507900001030040060000008900

All are welcomed to give it a try! :sun: