SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:48 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Børge wrote:
Can it be that you have missed a Hidden Single in g5:c9 or g5:n9?

Boy, do I feel stupid! :oops: Sure enough, I missed the 4 in g5:r1c9. :doh: If it were a snake, it would have bit me. Chalk it up to tiredness (I usually work on puzzles at bedtime until I can't see straight anymore). However, I'm not out of the woods yet. Stay tuned. . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:35 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

No reason to feel stupid. Finding Naked Pairs wide apart (5-7 columns or rows) often takes me longer than finding other N/H-Subsets.
An example (http://www.samurai-sudoku.com 2009-04-03, Fiendish):
Hidden Text:

enxio27 wrote:
Chalk it up to tiredness (I usually work on puzzles at bedtime until I can't see straight anymore).
And then you have Numbered Dreams?

I have mostly stopped doing puzzles just before bedtime. I do them best just after lunch or supper.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:35 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Børge wrote:
I haven't even tried the Fiendish level of those yet.

Quote:

I had to Google that, so no, I guess not.

Quote:
I have mostly stopped doing puzzles just before bedtime. I do them best just after lunch or supper.

My problem is that my body is tired long before my mind is, so I use the puzzles to get my mind tired enough so that I can sleep. Otherwise I just toss and turn for as much as an hour, and STILL don't sleep well. Since I've been doing puzzles at bedtime, I've been falling asleep immediately when I do lie down, and I've been sleeping much better, as well. Of course, there are the occasional dumb mistakes on the puzzles, but I'm learning to recognize my limit. It's rare that I get time during the day to work on puzzles, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

enxio27 wrote:
Børge wrote:

I haven't even tried the Fiendish level of those yet.
Never seen one that requires more than X-Wing, and I have done them all. The fiendish ones normally solves with N/H-Subsets and/or X-Wing(s), which normally are required pretty late and limited to a single grid.

enxio27 wrote:
Børge wrote:

I had to Google that, so no, I guess not.
I wasn't referring to what you find by googling for "Numbered Dreams". More along the lines if you then have dreams related to numbers and/or solving sudokus.
Has happened to me. Puzzles being solved in strange places and in situations you would probably never think about solving sudokus. Pretty weird stuff. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:29 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Børge wrote:
Never seen one that requires more than X-Wing, and I have done them all.

Hmmm. . . I'll have to give them a try, then. I expected them to be much harder.

Quote:
I wasn't referring to what you find by googling for "Numbered Dreams". More along the lines if you then have dreams related to numbers and/or solving sudokus.

Ahh, sorry! I guess I put too much stock into your capitalization of Numbered Dreams. My bad! No, I haven't had any sudoku-related dreams, which I guess is surprising. Perhaps I get that all worked out in my waking hours.

BTW, I made my latest reply about the Christmas Shogun back in the appropriate thread.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:11 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

enxio27 wrote:
Børge wrote:
Never seen one that requires more than X-Wing, and I have done them all.

Hmmm. . . I'll have to give them a try, then. I expected them to be much harder.
Using a good helper program, I am disappointed with myself if I use more than 10 minutes solving a samurai-sudoku.com Fiendish puzzle.

enxio27 wrote:
Børge wrote:

Ahh, sorry! I guess I put too much stock into your capitalization of Numbered Dreams. My bad!
My error using capitalization. Chalk it up as a mistake caused by my insufficient knowledge of the English language.

enxio27 wrote:
BTW, I made my latest reply about the Christmas Shogun back in the appropriate thread.
I don't take this as "religiously" as the "Killers and Assassins" in this forum. By deviating only a single cell from a thread topic in the Killer Puzzles section, you risk elimination. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Børge wrote:
Using a good helper program, I am disappointed with myself if I use more than 10 minutes solving a samurai-sudoku.com Fiendish puzzle.

Well, as you know, I don't like to use a helper program (for anything other than pencil marks and printing) unless I get absolutely stuck. It's fine for others if they want to do that, but for *ME* it feels like cheating, or at the very least, it takes away the pride I feel in having done it by myself.

Quote:
My error using capitalization. Chalk it up as a mistake caused by my insufficient knowledge of the English language.

Not at all! Your command of English is so good that I sometimes forget it's not your native language. I think that more than anything, it was your sometimes quirky sense of humor that led me to think that perhaps the capitalization was significant in this case.

I know that in German, all nouns are capitalized. Is Norwegian the same?

Quote:
I don't take this as "religiously" as the "Killers and Assassins" in this forum. By deviating only a single cell from a thread topic in the Killer Puzzles section, you risk elimination. ;)

:D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:38 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

enxio27 wrote:
I think that more than anything, it was your sometimes quirky sense of humor that led me to think that perhaps the capitalization was significant in this case.
You definitely nailed that one.
Hope my sometimes quirky sense of humor does not bother or offend anyone.

enxio27 wrote:
I know that in German, all nouns are capitalized. Is Norwegian the same?
NO! And thank heaven for that.

Norwegian grammar is not identical, but similar to English grammar. The possibly biggest difference is that in Norwegian verbs are only inflected with tense and not with person.
This is probably the biggest obstacle to Norwegian children starting to learn English, German or French, i.e. they have to drill:

I              am
You are
He, She, It is
We are
You are
They are

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:57 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Børge wrote:
Hope my sometimes quirky sense of humor does not bother or offend anyone.

Not at all! But it does have me scratching my head sometimes! :D

Quote:
This is probably the biggest obstacle to Norwegian children starting to learn English, German or French

I know that English (especially American English) is NOT the easiest language to learn if it's not your native tongue. And Americans in general have gotten SO sloppy about spelling and grammar in recent years. (Trying very hard not to get onto my soapbox about the sorry state of the American public education system here. . .)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

enxio27 wrote:
I know that English (especially American English) is NOT the easiest language to learn if it's not your native tongue.
Probably depends on your native tongue. Personally I find German quite a bit harder than English, mainly because they have two cases (accusative and dative) which English and Norwegian do not have anymore. And German uses genitive more extensively than English and Norwegian. But Finish is even harder, 15 or 16 cases, if I remember correctly.