SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Børge. When I made my comments, both on the forum and in a PM to you, I never intended that you should cut back that much on posting coloured diagrams.

As I've said before posting them as soon as possible after a new puzzle has appeared seems good to me; the puzzle creator requesting them is even better but that's obviously the decision of the puzzle creator and has so far only been done for puzzles with diagonal cages.

My main concern was when coloured diagrams have been posted for some old puzzles, usually harder variants, and it doesn't seem appropriate to me that those threads should end with diagrams rather than a walkthrough or constructive discussion.

In a PM to me, which I will reply to soon, you mentioned that it's a good thing to provide coloured diagrams for older puzzles. I was therefore going to suggest to you that if you were prepared to do the work, you should set up a separate thread with coloured diagrams for older puzzles. I'm sure that Richard would be happy to make such a thread into a "Sticky".

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:52 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Andrew wrote:
Børge. When I made my comments, both on the forum and in a PM to you, I never intended that you should cut back that much on posting coloured diagrams.

As I've said before posting them as soon as possible after a new puzzle has appeared seems good to me; the puzzle creator requesting them is even better but that's obviously the decision of the puzzle creator and has so far only been done for puzzles with diagonal cages.
Since my program for making diagrams with "udosuk Style Killer Cages" now is public available, my assumption was that the puzzle creator would want the make the diagrams himself if he wants to post this type of diagrams. This to get the colours exactly as envisioned when the puzzle was conceived. If he does not have a suitable version of Excel or is not prepared to install the required ActiveX library, I will happily make diagrams if he wants them.

Andrew wrote:
In a PM to me, which I will reply to soon, you mentioned that it's a good thing to provide coloured diagrams for older puzzles. I was therefore going to suggest to you that if you were prepared to do the work, you should set up a separate thread with coloured diagrams for older puzzles. I'm sure that Richard would be happy to make such a thread into a "Sticky".
In your PM (really an email I presume and hope), if possible please state the number of old puzzles you still have not posted WTs for. If it is not too many and you have the time, please also state the puzzle numbers. I can then prepare the diagrams and put them all into one thread myself, or if you prefer, you can for each WT include the corresponding diagrams in collapsed text at the start or end of your WT post.

Last edited by Børge on Sun May 16, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thank you, Børge!

Just to state my opinion, I would appreciate it if the alternative images were only posted if explicitly requested. Otherwise I see no point in posting multiple images for one puzzle if the original image is already good enough (which is the case for all non-remote Killers in the Archive threads).

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:53 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

From PMs and emails my impression is that this forum has both members and many guests who solve killer sudokus using pen and paper.
I think it would be valuable to know if they are satisfied with the SudokuSolver images normally posted with a puzzle, or if they actually prefer images with "udosuk Style Killer Cages", and if they with my program can make them themselves or not.

For my own pleasure I will probably continue to make "udosuk Style Killer Cages" for all new puzzles, and post them on my Sudoku SkyDrive.
Navigating this highly organized SkyDrive and finding images for a puzzle should not be too difficult.

Unless I explicitly deny it, new images I upload are automatically summarised in the Windows Live profile for my Sudoku SkyDrive.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:39 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Andrew wrote:
I was therefore going to suggest to you that if you were prepared to do the work, you should set up a separate thread with coloured diagrams for older puzzles. I'm sure that Richard would be happy to make such a thread into a "Sticky".
This is an excellent idea :thumbs:

The first post in this thread should be an introduction followed by a post for each of the killer types Assassin, Texas Jigsaw, Miscellaneous, Human Solvable, Anti-Chess, Cage Pairs, Non-consecutive plus a couple of reserved posts for future expansion.

The next post [EDIT: now the first post] contains a possible format applied to the Assassin images to keep each post as short as possible.
Perhaps an idea for the upcoming archive(s) and regrouping of the current ones into a single sticky post.

Last edited by Børge on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm 
Addict
Addict

Thank you very much for making these conveniently accessible. :cheesey:

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Andrew wrote:
My main concern was when coloured diagrams have been posted for some old puzzles, usually harder variants, and it doesn't seem appropriate to me that those threads should end with diagrams rather than a walkthrough or constructive discussion.
Where possible I will remove my last post with diagrams, as I already have done for A107, but it will takes some days.
When building the above post with coloured diagrams for the Assassins for which I already have images I will hopefully spot them all.

Last edited by Børge on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:02 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

18 Jun 2011: Added images for A201, A202, A203, A204 and A205.
Added images for Boredom Killer #1, Boredom Killer #2, Boredom Killer #3 and Boredom Killer #4, i.e. all 4 Boredom Killers.
Added links into "Archive PART D" for A101, A102, A103, A104, A105, A106, A107, A108 and A109.
Added links into "Archive PART D" for Messy One #1, Messy One #2, Messy One #3, Messy One #4 and Messy One #5.
19 Jun 2011: Added images for A135 "Presents".
25 Jun 2011: Added images for A206, A207, A208, A209 and A210.
26 Jun 2011: Added images for A211, A212, A213, A214 and A215.
Added images for A136, A138 and A139.
27 Jun 2011: Added images for A145, A146, A147 and A148.
30 Jun 2011: Added images for all 8 Just for Fun Killers.
02 Jul 2011: Added images for "Tarek's Killer Jonin" and "goooders' Special 1".
Replaced the incorrect images for "Human Solvable 1 X" with correct ones
and added two additional images and PS-code for Human Solvable 1 X without r5c5 being part of a cage, i.e. r5c5 is a Zero Killer cell.
Many thanks to Andrew for pointing out the error in my original images for Human Solvable 1 X.
03 Jul 2011: Added an entry for Cage Pairs 4 telling that this puzzle unfortunately is lost (forever).
09 Jul 2011: Added images for all A216 versions.
Added links into "Archive PART D" for all puzzles currently in the archive.
10 Jul 2011: Added images for A26, A31, A34, A152, A153, A155, A156, A157, A158, A159, A162, A163 and A164.
11 Jul 2011: Added images for A166, A167, A168, A169, A170, A171, A172, A173, A174, Cage Pairs 4, Paper Solvable 5 and Paper Solvable 7.
26 Jul 2011: Added images for A176, A177, 14 Cage Killer, Minimum Cages Zero Killer and Paper Solvable 6 - Decidoku X zero 1.