SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Assassin schedule
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:35 am 
Addict
Addict

UPDATE 05-10-2008:
Changed frequency of posting Assassins from 4 to 3 weeks
Included direct link to Assassins - just click on the number of the Assassin
Updated info for A102

I think it's time to talk about the next Assassins. Maybe a small schedule would be a good idea. We wouldn't want to go without a new Assassin for a week, wouldn't we? Or 3 different Assassins in 5 minutes.

So here are my ideas:
  • Volunteers should announce it here if they want to submit an Assassin
  • "He/she who volunteers first will be selected to post the next Assassin"
  • Give the others a chance - if you have posted an Assassin you will have to wait for at least 3 weeks before you are allowed to give the next one (except if there are no volunteers)
  • Someone should maintain the schedule - any volunteers here? ;)

How the schedule could look like:

Assassin posted by day of posting rating SSolver 3.1.0

A101 Nasenbaer May 1/2 2008 1.23
A102 Afmob May 8/9 2008 1.09
A103 ??? May 15/16 2008 ?
A104 ??? May 22/23 2008 ?

These ideas are open for discussion.

Cheers,
Nasenbaer

Last edited by Nasenbaer on Sat May 10, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Assassin schedule
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Good idea Nasenbaer! Wouldn't the simplest way to run this be for people to volunteer in this thread? Then it doesn't need someone to run it. If necessary Richard could delete messages, apart from Nasenbaer's message that started this thread, when they are obsolete.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:42 am 
Expert
Expert

Nasenbaer wrote:
Give the others a chance - if you have posted an Assassin you will have to wait for at least 4 weeks before you are allowed to give the next one (except if there are no volunteers)

Sounds good, except I'd make that every 3 weeks instead of 4, given the current number of puzzle setters.

I personally will not be posting the A102, because I already posted the UA100, which I'm not quite finished with yet (still need to compare the moves i found with those of Afmob's and possibly make a post there if I find something worth mentioning). Also, assuming nobody else posts a WT for my "Cyclone V2" in the meantime, I'm planning to publish my own WT for that puzzle, in order to keep it off the (as yet uncreated) "Unsolved" list.

As to "giving the others a chance", after already having published 30 Killers (in total) here and on sudocue.net, I've gone past the stage now of wanting or needing to be selfish. In fact it's the opposite now - I'm really happy to see others come up with their own creations instead. :D

Look forward to seeing the A102. Whoever it is this time, thanks in advance for "volunteering"!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:31 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Alright, I'll do A102.

But between 12th and 18th of May I'm off, so just expect a V1 and someone else can make another version if demanded. Of course, if I get creative then I'll post another version on sunday but let's see how the creation of V1 goes since I'm still quite unexperienced in making Killers.

Edit: I created a suitable Assassin, so have fun on friday. :cheesey:

Last edited by Afmob on Thu May 08, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:12 am 
Expert
Expert

Afmob wrote:
Alright, I'll do A102.

Well volunteered, Afmob! :applause:

If you haven't got time for a V2, don't worry. Someone else (like J-C or myself) could create one. AFAIAA, the 3/4 week "rule" that Nasenbaer and I were talking about above relates only to the V1 Assassins. IMO, the creators of the V1 and the corresponding V2 do not need to be the same person (in fact, in the past, they usually weren't).

Having said that, if you're not around next week, Afmob, maybe there's no need for a V2 anyway! :)

P.S. Sorry I haven't been posting so much recently, but I've been a bit distracted by the new updates of JSudoku and SudokuSolver. And, oh yes, there's also some office work to be done... :)

P.P.S. Talking about SudokuSolver, it was interesting to read about Richard doing some of his SS development on the train to and from work. Sounds like the perfect way of distracting oneself from the usual boring journey to me. The time must just go racing by that way! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:15 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

mhparker wrote:
Sounds good, except I'd make that every 3 weeks instead of 4
Good idea. I've become pretty unreliable ;) . Still trying to finish up many loose ends at sudocue.net but can plan ahead to grab A104. I like anniversaries!
About A102 Afmob wrote:
so just expect a V1 and someone else can make another version if demanded
Thanks Afmob! Less is "more" at the moment for me so don't feel the need to be too creative with a V2. Plus, am hoping to get adventurous and start trying out some of the other fractions creations ( :uberviking: :D ). Looks like they are having great fun. ;clapclap;

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:16 am 
Expert
Expert

Ed wrote:
Still trying to finish up many loose ends at sudocue.net but can plan ahead to grab A104.

Thanks for the offer, Ed. BTW, were you intentionally leaving A103 for me? I could provide that one, but would also welcome offers to do this from others (Jean-Christophe or Frank, maybe?). If anyone reading this wants to reserve A103 (or other future Assassin) for himself/herself, please post a reply here!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:19 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

mhparker wrote:
(Ed) were you intentionally leaving A103 for me? I could provide that one
Not intentionally - I was just being greedy and jumping ahead for the 2 year anniversary.
mhparker wrote:
A103 ...I could provide that one
Sounds like an offer to me! Thanks Mike! :)

A103 Mike May 15/16 2008 ?
A104 Ed May 22/23 2008 1.25(?)
A105 ??? May 29/30 2008 ?
A106 ??? June 5/6 2008 ?

I'm still trying to format copy at least one of the old walk-throughs for all the early Assassin and Others. If it goes black there we could archive here. Plus, getting a Rating-like (just using chronological + SS(v3.1)scores) post ready for A1-50 to add to the sticky. Might post that here. Could be fun for us old timers ;) .

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:43 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Anyone willing to provide us with A105 this Friday? Frank or JC maybe? I would volunteer for A106 since I've got a busy weekend ahead so I can't give you A105.

Edit: Thanks Nasenbaer, for delivering the new Assassin!

I think to avoid such situations we should plan Assassins ahead meaning that we know who is going to provide the Assassins 2 weeks ahead. So this week we need someone to provide A106, that would be me, and some one else who is going to make A107 (who should volunteer until next thursday), so we have some security.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:57 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Afmob wrote:
we should plan Assassins ahead meaning that we know who is going to provide the Assassins 2 weeks ahead. So this week we need someone to provide A106, that would be me, and some one else who is going to make A107 (who should volunteer until next thursday), so we have some security
Good idea Afmob. Another suggestion to add focus. If no one has volunteered for the Assassin due in less than 1 week, lets have no other killers posted (including v2s/Mavericks/Messy Ones/Windoku killer/jigsaw killers etc) until the Assassin has been spoken for [edit for clarity].

A103 Mike May 15/16 2008 1.74
A104 Ed May 22/23 2008 1.19
A105 Nasenbaer May 29/30 2008 1.37
A106 Afmob June 5/6 2008 1.34
A107 Mike? June 12/13 2008 ?
A108 ??? June 19/20 2008 ?

Suggestions
1. 3 weeks before the same person makes another Assassin
2. volunteer early please: Assassin + 1 preferred!
3. no new killers until the next Assassin has been claimed [edit]
4. each new volunteer adds to this table. Keeps things at-a-glance

Alternative ideas welcome.

Cheers
Ed

Last edited by Ed on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next