SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:40 pm 
Addict
Addict

I know I'm bold to ask help from people I barely know, but....

Can anyone tell me how to take a JPEG file and convert it to PDF?

This has absolutely nothing to do with sudoku, but a lot of you are so much better at computers than I am. I've never even been able to post questions on the forums because I don't know how to show graphics like "current state of my puzzle" or anything else.

My current problem is I need to provide a PDF file, for the purpose of "e-blasting" it to 1200 members of a trade association I belong to. I'm told only PDF will do. I managed to cobble together a JPEG file, which has the info I want distributed.

Gratefully awaiting your expert advice. :salute:

Ronnie G

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:34 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

There may be an easier way, but I know my scanner software could do it. It's called Vuescan, available from http://www.hamrick.com/. Be aware that the unregistered version puts a watermark on the image, but I can tell you from about eight years of using this software that it's the absolute best scanner software there is, and well worth the price. The author is constantly improving the software, adding scanners and film types to the database, and is very responsive to his users. No financial interest here, just a very satisfied customer (satisfied enough that I upgraded to the professional version several years ago). It may also be (I don't remember for sure) that you have to have the professional version to get the PDF capability, but that capability has paid for itself many times over in copying costs that I would have otherwise incurred (not to mention gas and hassle getting to the copy center). And it's way cheaper than Adobe Acrobat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:50 am 
Expert
Expert

AFAIK Most modern OSs will also let you "print" to a fake PDF "printer" which generates a PDF file.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:03 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

You should be able to convert pdf files online using the following official adobe site:

:arrow: http://createpdf.adobe.com

Alternatively, try googling "create pdf" I'm sure you can find a variety of methods/free softwares to do it.

I know that MS Office 2007 has this feature to save word documents as pdf files, and you can surely insert your jpg files in a word document easily. But if you don't have MS Office you can try the latest version of Open Office (which is free) and the feature should be there too. :geek:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:47 pm 
Addict
Addict

You guys are great, you've made my day! :sun:

So far I've followed JC's advice and found a free-trial "printer" called pdfMachine that does the trick, though it does add a watermark at the bottom.

Udosuk, I followed your link and it's probably the cheapest solution for getting rid of any watermarks, since I obviously don't have a continuous need for this kind of function...Acrobat will let me convert files for a monthly fee of USD $9.99.

Enxio, haven't looked into your scanner option yet (it's a little more expensive and I'm cheap!).

But excellent suggestions all. You've taught this old dog a new trick. Thanks.

Ronnie G

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ronnie G wrote:
So far I've followed JC's advice and found a free-trial "printer" called pdfMachine that does the trick, though it does add a watermark at the bottom.
try Googling PDFCreator. This is a freeware PDF printer and doesn't add watermarks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:35 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
try Googling PDFCreator. This is a freeware PDF printer and doesn't add watermarks
I have used PDFCreator a lot. It does decent job, but in some cases not as good as Adobe.

Ronnie G wrote:
Acrobat will let me convert files for a monthly fee of USD $9.99.
Per email address you can do 5 for free. I have done many more for free using temporary free and phony email addresses, i.e. yahoo, hotmail, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

17th June 2008 US software company Adobe Systems has reported a 41% jump in second-quarter profit thanks to robust demand from international markets. ;clapclap;

However, the maker of Photoshop, Flash and Acrobat issued a revenue outlook that disappointed some investors, sending its shares down 2.5%. :doh:

What will happen now that Borge has given his secrets away? :naughty:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:10 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Børge wrote:
Ronnie G wrote:
Acrobat will let me convert files for a monthly fee of USD $9.99.
Per email address you can do 5 for free. I have done many more for free using temporary free and phony email addresses, i.e. yahoo, hotmail, etc.
Glyn wrote:
17th June 2008 US software company Adobe Systems has reported a 41% jump in second-quarter profit thanks to robust demand from international markets. ;clapclap;
However, the maker of Photoshop, Flash and Acrobat issued a revenue outlook that disappointed some investors, sending its shares down 2.5%. :doh:
What will happen now that Borge has given his secrets away? :naughty:
This cannot be a BIG secret. I can't be that much smarter than everyone else ;)
Glyn, I'm sorry for you if you have Adobe shares.

If I needed to make a lot of PDFs, using free and phony email addresses would be too cumbersome, so then I would either subscribe to the on-line service or purchase Acrobat. Normally PDF Creator does a decent enough job.

www.webpdf.net offers UNLIMITED free conversion of any file into PDF using the StarOffice PDF Converter.

From www.softvision.de/en/products.htm: