A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fairy Samurai 1
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:41 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Fairy Samurai 1 NN NC KNC Fers

This one is for tarek who comes from both the East and West (Midlands), as I remember him liking NC and Børge does not.

It is a Concise Restrained Fairy Samurai. Definitions:

Restrained: many constraints - from Ruud, Para or Phyrron I think, but if you remember please say.

Concise: not many clues/cages/givens (how do you feel about this definition? - changed on H3lix's suggestion)

Fairy: chess definition (or anything I do)

There are no nonets, it is Fers (diagonal cells cannot be the same), Non-Consecutive and King Non-Consecutive. Hence the eight adjacent cells cannot be the same or consecutive.

A couple of slightly higher level NC deductions are needed.

Guess where you should start? I think a four clue puzzle is possible.

I'm not sure of the Japanese cultural connotations of the title – but you can see what I’m getting at.

Last edited by HATMAN on Sat May 08, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fairy Samurai 1
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:20 am 
Addict
Addict

I like the classifications Restrained and Little (though I'm not too sure I'm crazy about the term Little as it seems to suggest the size of the puzzle. Perhaps Concise?) I especially like that these classifications are being called out and clearly defined. I noticed this was always a trend on the djape forums, where so many designers were trying to create puzzles as restrained and little/concise as possible. I never really had that goal, I subscribe to the Nikoli philosophy and aim for artful organization and design of clues and solving experience.

I'll definitely give this one a shot on paper, the concept is very interesting and has a very fun "area of effect" feel to it. I'll probably be doing explosion-y sound effects.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:09 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Concise it is.

I agree with your/Nikoli's target/definition. However the two approaches are no incompatible. I did not find the Nikoli example a good one, given I mainly do Killers I find hidden pairs to be "bread and butter".

When doing the Times puzzles I find about one in ten has a good feel to it. DJApe genarally does better.

This fairy samurai is deliberately like "dropping a stone in a pond".

Note the DJApe obsession was mainly Matt and me.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi Hatman,

I'm still pretty much in the Midlands, although I seldom travel west of Coventry.

How about Touchless NC :cheesey: ? .... the 4 cell overlap is what's interesting because there will be few (probably no) software around to assist.

My software is capable of handling this although I removed Fairy/NC & even advanced techniques due to speed issues pending a shift for my software from JS.

Good work ... I'm currently assembling a collection of 8 clue Sudoku - (X Diamonds DG & DG diagonals) looking for a human solvable puzzle :pray:

tarek

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

tarek

I forgot the term touchless.

In terms of Concise sudoku did you see the work that Nikoli_freak did on Sudoku.com in terms extra groups? I hope that it is brought back as it was a mine of sudoku information.

Maurice

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:56 am 
Addict
Addict

This puzzle was really fun to figure out at first, eliminating candidates and watching the first grid start to fall out, but then, as is the bane of restrained grids, patterns started to appear that made the rest of the solution very predictable. I noticed this whenever I combined anti-chess variants and even with a majority of non-consecutive puzzles.

To be fair, I've only solved the upper left grid and started to see the same pattern bleeding into the center, but at this point it feels like I'm going to be confirming what I think the entire solution is going to be.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:31 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

True, I tend to keep my blinkers on when doing these.