Post subject: Regular Samurai #20
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:28 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Regular Samurai #20A (Apprentice)
Rating based on required solving techniques:  Very Hard

20A Line Format:
Code:
.15.....43.89.7......5.12.362.....3.....8.95..5..1......7.........73....1..8.....
5....6.4....3.1..7..8....6564....59..1.64..........41.....6.2......37.........9.3
.....1......7........5.....7.....84.....9.....36.....9.....2........9......1.....
5.2.........85......6.1.....23..........36.4..57....3837....1..8..7.1....9.6....5
.....3..2....24.........5......4..1..79.3.....2.....935.76.8......3.19.89.....17.

Post subject: Re: Regular Samurai #20
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:26 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Tarek, again thanks a lot for an excellent Apprentice level puzzle. :thumbs: ;clapclap;
I enjoyed solving it.

Here a mini-mini Walktrough:
Hidden Text:
To solve this one I needed one X-Wing on 8 in g5:r24c47 (green cells). Then the Samurai solves with N/H-Singles and Intersections.
Complementary to the X-Wing there is a Jellyfish on 8 (yellow cells), which yields the exact same eliminations.

Last edited by Børge on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:36 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm glad you liked it Børge ....

I've been lagging behind in terms of solving Samurais .....Will try to catch up...

Do you know how many are reviewing our puzzles ? :scratch:

Will try to optimize my solver to genrate better NOVICE puzzles in the upcoming weeks.

tarek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:39 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

tarek wrote:
I'm glad you liked it Børge ....
From the rating I knew that there would be at least one X-Wing and I saw it and another one (that later dissolved) much earlier than I actually decided to deploy the one I posted in my Walktrough. I first wanted to see how far I could solve using N/H-Singles, Intersections and N/H-Subsets only.

tarek wrote:
Do you know how many are reviewing our puzzles ? :scratch:
My puzzles:    currently none.
Your puzzles: one person, me.

From the number of views, I would say that around 20-30 people are viewing and probably also solving our puzzles.
I interpret your question that you as I are a bit disappointed about the lack of feedback.

I must say I envy the Killer group a bit. They are a group of around 10 people, which review each other's puzzles and take turn creating them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

tarek wrote:
Do you know how many are reviewing our puzzles ?

I'm reviewing them, but I just can't get through them very fast. :( I save the puzzles you and Børge and others post and put them in my to-do pile, though.

I'm not into the killers, so I appreciate the samurai, clueless, kazaguruma, etc. that are being posted here. I have several friends whom I refer here for puzzles, as well, although I haven't yet heard back on whether they have completed any. Most of them are still pretty much beginners.

Do I understand correctly that "Apprentice" puzzles require nothing more difficult than an X-wing? I can handle that. I hate having to set aside an unfinished puzzle until I have the time to learn whatever new technique it requires.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:05 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks enxio27 & Børge,

As Børge mentioned, I think that from time to time, it would be nice to hear something from someone just to make sure that an interest is present.

I agree that the views number next to the thread name indicate that somebody does read these pages.

I would suggest to Børge what I'm starting to do which is to generate as many puzzles in advance & keep them as backup for posting in case a desire to generate more puzzles doesn't exist.

enxio27 wrote:
Do I understand correctly that "Apprentice" puzzles require nothing more difficult than an X-wing?
Yes, anything that has the word apprentice attached to it requires nothing more than subsets &/OR X-wings to solve .... to me this level is similar to the "Superior" level sudokus which Pappocom used to publish.

tarek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:16 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

tarek wrote:
I would suggest to Børge what I'm starting to do which is to generate as many puzzles in advance & keep them as backup for posting in case a desire to generate more puzzles doesn't exist.
I did have a 3-4 weeks stock of puzzles, but used it up during my holiday in July. Since then I have been so busy that I have not been able to make a new one, so now the puzzles are made just minutes before posting. If things then do not go as planned, this can cause problems, like yesterday, forcing me to postpone the Regular Clueless Explosion #20 Master puzzles until today.