SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: FNC Killer
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:09 am 
Addict
Addict

Ah, it never occurred to me to do an FNC elimination once I had the 5's pinned down in N2.
:applause:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:40 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks Dan - the full cages version is nicely paper solvable.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ed wrote:
Børge wrote:
I wrote back and asked if my program actually works with Open Office Calc, but Ed's reply somehow got lost.
;) Very diplomatic Børge...but just my usual slowness. Unfortunately, can't make your program work with Open Office. It opens but doesn't make a new worksheet with the code on the clipboard. I tried the Novell version but it doesn't work either. Thanks for the suggestion [edit: but I think it was causing Windows to crash so have uninstalled it].
;) Ed you know that always try to be diplomatic, at least on board. Off board I feel free to speak my unadorned opinion, but hopefully polite.
But emails can and sometimes actually get lost. The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) does not guarantee neither delivery nor notification to the sender if an email is not delivered.

I had not expect it to work with Open Office.
It would be interesting to know if you or Dan get any error messages when Open Office opens and reads my Excel file.
The ActiveX library MSCOMCT2.OCX must be installed. It is not a part of windows (perhaps included with professional and ultimate editions) but part of MS Office Professional.

Except for the rows with the Apply, Edit and Reset buttons I only use pretty basic VBA classes.
The rows with the Apply, Edit and Reset buttons are not static, but dynamically created and deleted as needed, and that might not be implemented by Open Office VBA.

In retrospect I should have programmed my application using Open Office, which has its own macro language similar to MS Offiice VBA, but since I have never used it I opted for VBA, which I have lots of experience with, to get my application up and running fast.

As I wrote previously, I have started to reprogram it in C# with .NET, but are very far away from a release.
This will be a stand alone application like SudokuSolver, which also uses .NET, but is programmed in Visual Basic.

I have gotten pretty fed up with MS Office.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:12 pm 
Addict
Addict

I would be very excited to see a standalone version of this that works outside the inconsistencies of MS office. I wasn't really excited at the prospect of buying an outdated version of excel to run this spreadsheet.