SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:33 pm 
Addict
Addict

Here's another calcudoku/KenKen style of puzzle but with a different twist. What if the entries in each cage are -forbidden- from being distinct? For example, a cage with three entries which add to 9 could be 4,4,1 but couldn't be 2,3,4, since those numbers are all different. Here are some small quick puzzles just to demonstrate the idea. All of the clues reveal the sums of the entries in that cage, but regardless of whether or not there is a clue, the entries in each cage cannot be distinct!

For the solution, a PDF, and more information, visit: https://quadratablog.blogspot.com/2021/ ... zzles.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

David

You are going back in time again. I did a lot of these on DJApe's old forum. I enjoy them but the Assassin guys are not that keen.

A variant you could try is maximum repeats in every cage. Because a lot of information is given these are best done with a lot of empty space.

Maurice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Here is an early example.

the picture is lost but further down Simon has done it simply.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=915

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:02 pm 
Addict
Addict

Oh wow! I just came across the idea because I wanted to try the opposite of distinctness in a calcudoku. I could go for maximum repeats, but I have a few other ideas to try soon as well. One is consecutiveness, where cages contain consecutive numbers. Another is isolatedness where numbers cannot be consecutive at all!

Here's a larger variation of this non-distinct condition below I just came up with. Thanks for the info!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this puzzle, each row and each column contains the numbers 1 through 6 exactly once, but NO cage is allowed to contain all distinct numbers! Clues when given must equal the sum of the entries in that cage.

Solution and more info at: https://quadratablog.blogspot.com/2021/ ... uzzle.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm working on isolated killers at present but having difficulty with solving techniques.

I'll post one shortly.