SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sudopedia
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:18 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The main page of Sudopedia got hit by spammers. I took the liberty of removing the spam and putting in a "place-holder" title. I would like to restore the main page to the original that Ruud posted, but I don't remember or have record of what used to be there. Can anyone help?

Post subject: Re: Sudopedia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:26 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The wiki has been targeted by spammers for months now, so unfortunately I can't see it getting back without active moderation. Unfortunately I don't have a record of the pages. I have a strong feeling that due to what happend on the old sudoku forum and the programmers forum - that there is somebody somewhere who has kept a copy of the original

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:50 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

tarek wrote:
The wiki has been targeted by spammers for months now, so unfortunately I can't see it getting back without active moderation.

I agree. I'm finding there's a whole lot more spam than what was on the main page. It could be quite a job to clean all of that up, and without ownership of the domain, I'm not sure anyone could prevent the spammers from taking over again. I found another email address for Ruud this morning on the whois for the sudopedia.org domain, and I emailed him. We'll see whether anything comes of it.

Quote:
I have a strong feeling that due to what happend on the old sudoku forum and the programmers forum - that there is somebody somewhere who has kept a copy of the original

I did learn this morning that one of the mods of the dailysudoku.com forum got a complete copy about a year ago, but obtaining a copy from him could be a problem. He had offered a while back to burn it to DVD and send it to anyone who asked, but he mentioned more recently that he was having trouble getting it to copy to a DVD or thumb drive (apparently due to some Windows-illegal file names). He didn't seem to have the know-how or the inclination to restore it to Sudopedia himself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

enxio27 wrote:
I did learn this morning that one of the mods of the dailysudoku.com forum got a complete copy about a year ago, but obtaining a copy from him could be a problem. He had offered a while back to burn it to DVD and send it to anyone who asked, but he mentioned more recently that he was having trouble getting it to copy to a DVD or thumb drive (apparently due to some Windows-illegal file names). He didn't seem to have the know-how or the inclination to restore it to Sudopedia himself.
You can find the "original" front page using Google's cache. I've just started a download from there to see if I can get most of the site as it was.