A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Text Cloaking Problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi Richard,

Afmob drew my attention to the fact that my cloaked Messy One #1 WT (which I've since converted to TT) was readable, although it was invisible for me.

The problem appears to be the board style set up in the user's profile. For users using the default "SubSilver2" board style, the background color is white (#fafafa), whereas for "ProSilver" users, the background is gray (#ebeadd). The different background colors make it impossible to cloak text so that it appears invisible for all users.

Therefore, would it be possible for you to switch the quote box background color for the ProSilver style to #fafafa in order that cloaking can be used? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Another problem: the URL http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/forum (as published by Ed on sudocue.net) is now being redirected to http://www.piarina.com/_holding.htm instead of http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/forum/index.php, as I assume it should be. Can you take a look? Thanks once again.

Last edited by mhparker on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

mhparker wrote:
Therefore, would it be possible for you to switch the quote box background color for the ProSilver style to #fafafa in order that cloaking can be used? Thanks in advance.
I am extremely in favor of having the exact same background colours with all board styles. There are two different background colours per board style. Personally I prefer subsilver2 over prosilver.

When I post a Samurai I colour the gaps between the grids with the board background colour so it blends in and looks better. With the current setup it would not look good for those who use prosilver. SudoCue has the same problem with its two board styles SudoCue and LiteVersion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

mhparker wrote:
Hi
There's a code called hide which will allow any text you want to be hidden and shown as a button.

Hidden Text:
Here's an example of what it should look like

Both of the style settings for prosilver and subsilver are quite covoluted. When I get some time, I'll look into how to modify the colour settings (unless you have some insight?)

Rgds

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hidden Text:
Thanks for the tip, Richard!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:30 am 
Expert
Expert

rcbroughton wrote:
Both of the style settings for prosilver and subsilver are quite covoluted. When I get some time, I'll look into how to modify the colour settings (unless you have some insight?)

Richard, isn't it possible to simply change the blockquote background color from #EBEADD to #FAFAFA in the http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/forum/styles/prosilver/theme/colours.css style sheet?:

Quote:
/* BB Code styles
----------------------------------------*/
/* Quote block */
blockquote {
background-color: #EBEADD; /* <-- change to #FAFAFA */
background-image: url("{T_THEME_PATH}/images/quote.gif");
border-color:#DBDBCE;
}

I guess it would be necessary to clear the browser cache first to see the effects of the change.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:30 am 
Site Admin

mhparker wrote:
Richard, isn't it possible to simply change the blockquote background color from #EBEADD to #FAFAFA in the colours.css style sheet?
Not sure if that's the whole thing. The style uses alternating backgrounds for embedded quotes (which looks quite good) so I 'd need to change them all - and when I tested it, the nested quotes looked a bit sad when they were all the same colour. I think the hidden text option is a lot neater in this situation.

The wider issue is to change the colour scheme for the posts themselves. This is what Børge was looking for so that he can show his puzzles with the right background colours. What I don't want to do is start experimenting and find that it all looks horrendous on the live forum! Also, if you had text that was "hidden" by using the background colour of the post, you'd still have an issue with the quote, unless all the backgrounds were the same.

I'm also going to need to fix up the line spacing and other options in prosilver - in particular, small fonts don't seem to have been catered for too well in the default stylesheet - the line spacing is all wrong.

I just need to find some time to do it. Ed's just generated a list of bugs :shock: in testing the new SudokuSolver, and I'll need to get on to that (at least I can work on that on the train to/from work :) )

Rgds
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:10 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
The wider issue is to change the colour scheme for the posts themselves. This is what Børge was looking for so that he can show his puzzles with the right background colours. What I don't want to do is start experimenting and find that it all looks horrendous on the live forum!
Each Board Style (subsilver2 & prosilver) has TWO (or THREE?) different background colours for posts, used alternating for better distinguishing posts apart.
Code:
The subsilver2 background colours are:
Light:  #ECECEC = RGB(236, 236, 236)
Medium: #DCE1E5 = RGB(220, 225, 229)
Dark:   #C0C8D0 = RGB(192, 200, 208)

The prosilver background colours are:
Light:  #ECF3F7 = RGB(236, 243, 247)
Medium: #E1EBF2 = RGB(225, 235, 242)
Dark:   #CADCEB = RGB(202, 220, 235)
IMHO they are pretty identical; see image at end of post.

In the http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/forum/styles/prosilver/theme/colours.css style sheet the prosilver background colours are defined in the lines
83 (.bg1), 84(.bg2) and 85(.bg3):
Code:
.post:target h3 a {
   color: #000000;
}

.bg1   { background-color: #ECF3F7; }
.bg2   { background-color: #e1ebf2;  }
.bg3   { background-color: #cadceb; }
If they are changed to the same background colours used in subsilver2 defined in the http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/forum/styles/subsilver2/theme/stylesheet.css style sheet in the lines 352 through 365 then all problems should theoretically be solved:
Code:
.row1 {
   background-color: #ECECEC;
   padding: 4px;
}

.row2 {
   background-color: #DCE1E5;
}

.row3 {
   background-color: #C0C8D0;
}

rcbroughton wrote:
Also, if you had text that was "hidden" by using the background colour of the post, you'd still have an issue with the quote, unless all the backgrounds were the same.
IMHO only real trouble makers would quote "hidden" text in the background colour of the post! At least until the post is a bit old.

Last edited by Børge on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Børge wrote:
If they are changed to the same background colours used in subsilver2 defined in the subsilver2/theme/stylesheet.css then all problems should theoretically be solved
Thanks for the tip.
I've made the changes. Let's see if that's any better.

Rgds
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Richard.
I can see that you have changed .bg1 and .bg3, but NOT .bg2:
.bg1 { background-color: #ECECEC; }
.bg2 { background-color: #e1ebf2; } subsilver2 = #DCE1E5
.bg3 { background-color: #C0C8D0; }
But it does not seem to have any effect. Perhaps you have to shut down and restart the board again?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I've made the changes. Let's see if that's any better.
NOW IT WORKS ... GREAT :applause:
So unless the prosilver users protest, let us PLEASE keep it this way,
or change it the other way around, i.e. making the background for subsilver2 = ORIGINAL prosilver.