SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:25 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi folks,

Is anyone else on this forum having difficulties logging on to this forum automatically? For example, if I check the "Log me on automatically each visit" check box when logging on, then (for example) close the browser window without explicitly logging off, I have to re-enter my credentials the next time I visit the forum.

On the sudocue.net forum, I'm immediately logged in on revisiting the forum in the same scenario, using the same browser.

I thought it may be cookie related, but I have no special setting for sudocue.net, and changing the browser settings to always allow cookies from the www.rcbroughton.co.uk site didn't help either.

Any ideas, anyone?

P.S. Just noticed I've already been promoted to "Regular" and got my first star! :bouncy:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:58 am 
Site Admin

mhparker wrote:
Is anyone else on this forum having difficulties logging on to this forum automatically? For example, if I check the "Log me on automatically each visit" check box when logging on, then (for example) close the browser window without explicitly logging off, I have to re-enter my credentials the next time I visit the forum.
Should be sorted the next time you log in

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:05 am 
Expert
Expert

rcbroughton wrote:
Should be sorted the next time you log in

Yes, it's fixed now. Many thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:20 pm 
Regular
Regular

Um, I'm not sure it's fixed. I have to log in each time I come to this site, even though I have the automatic login box checked. Definitely not the way it works on sudocue or djape's site.
Susan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Sublue wrote:
Um, I'm not sure it's fixed. I have to log in each time I come to this site, even though I have the automatic login box checked. Definitely not the way it works on sudocue or djape's site.
Susan
Hi Susan

Welcome to the forum - sorry to hear you're having login problems. :(

I just did a check - setting up a new user and using auto login and all seems to be working . . . so I need to ask a couple of questions:

First: Do you have anything running on your computer that blocks cookies? (Norton, Symantec, AdAware, AVG, etc) or is your browser set to block cookies? You may need to set these up to specificall allow cookies from rcbroughton.co.uk

Second: When you access the forum, does your address bar have http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/forum/ or something else? Use that link if you can.

If that still doesn't fix it, I'll need to have another think . . .

Rgds
Richard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:09 pm 

Hi

Just for info, I was having the same problems until Mike commented on it. Since your fix then it has been working perfectly for me.

BTW Thanks for setting up this forum. I don't post much but I am here and I'm doing puzzles.

Elaine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The phpBB "Log me on automatically" never works for me on any forum (including my own), probably because I routinely delete all cookies whenever I close my browser.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

For security reasons (I have done some IT security work and consulting) I would personally NEVER use something like "Log me on automatically" or "Remember Password", which many browsers offer. I always log in completely manually and regularly do a MANUALLY cleanup of cookies (because I want to retain some).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:05 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Elaine wrote:
I don't post much but I am here and I'm doing puzzles
Hi Elaine - a very big welcome from me. :D

I somehow managed to get my registration & first post in here before you this time ;) (you beat me at both djape & Ruud's!).

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:52 pm 
Regular
Regular

Richard, I'm still not logging in automatically.
Your questions: First: Do you have anything running on your computer that blocks cookies? (Norton, Symantec, AdAware, AVG, etc) or is your browser set to block cookies? You may need to set these up to specificall allow cookies from rcbroughton.co.uk.
A: I run AVG automatically and AdAware when I think about it. I don't block cookies (that got entirely too annoying.)

Second: When you access the forum, does your address bar havehttp://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/forum/ or something else? Use that link if you can.
A: Yes, that is the address I'm using.

It's not that big a deal, but I do like to be logged in when I'm here so that I can check only the posts that I haven't already read.

Susan