A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm 
Regular
Regular

hi, :thumbs:
I am here also,
I will make more clueless/explosion and samurai's.
And hope lurn your helper/solver.
But first, next week, a new computer :cheers:

thanks, that you do this all

cowgirl Gemma :sun:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:12 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, last time for some reasons totally missed out on your fantastic activities @ sudocue.net, although a few of the hard core members there know who I am. Hopefully this time round I can participate more now that we all have a fresh start in this brand new place. :sun:

Richard, may I suggest that, in addition to Standard, Killer & Gattai sections, could you add one "Variant Puzzles" section for those such as Windoku, (Non-)Consecutive, Anti-Chess-moves, etc? Hopefully the bright minds here will also enjoy those ones as some of us did in the djape.net and sudoku.com forums. :geek:

Cheers! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Børge wrote:
I'll see about getting a new URL. :)

For now, you should be able to get straight to the SudokuSolver main page and then one click to the forum using http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk

Your browser will need to have javascript enabled, as I'm using a programmatic redirection

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:18 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Richard

Many thanks for setting up this forum. It's good to see that many of the regular "faces" from sudocue have already moved over here.

It seems strange that I'll have to start again as a Newbie here, having reached the Grandmaster ranks on sudocue. Still I didn't really fancy the next level which had a funny Japanese name.

BTW Richard, do you have a choice in determining the names for the various ranks and after how many posted messages each change is made.

If there was a way to do it, I would recommend that any messages containing puzzles ought to count as multiple messages. The people who create puzzles for us really deserve credit! :cheers: (I couldn't see an Applause smiley)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:32 am 
Expert
Expert

Yes, an "Applause" smiley would be nice! :)

Andrew wrote:
BTW Richard, do you have a choice in determining the names for the various ranks and after how many posted messages each change is made.

Yes, the board administrator has full control over the rank titles and the minimum number of posts required in each case. In addition, the board administrator has the ability to assign a "special" (i.e., "sticky") rank to individual users. For example, on the sudocue.net forum, Ruud gave Glyn the special rank "Major Major Major". In the typical case, where no such special rank has been assigned to a particular user, the automatic ranking system based on the number of posts applies.

Andrew wrote:
If there was a way to do it, I would recommend that any messages containing puzzles ought to count as multiple messages.

This sounds much more difficult. I'll leave that one for Richard! But do we really want such a system? I agree with your sentiments that certain posts are worth more than others, but this is also very much a matter of subjective opinion. In order to not upset anybody, it's probably better in any case to rate the posts identically, regardless of content.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Andrew wrote:
It seems strange that I'll have to start again as a Newbie here, having reached the Grandmaster ranks on sudocue. BTW Richard, do you have a choice in determining the names for the various ranks and after how many posted messages each change is made.
I have nothing against ranks, but is this really necessary for grown up mature adults ? ;)

Richard,
Is there a special reason that you choose to use UTC/GMT with DST instead of plain UTC?

IMHO using DST unnecessary complicates things, at least twice a year, especially in the autumn when DST is dropped. And AFAIK the US does not necessarily switch to and away from DST at the exact same dates as in Europe. And in countries on the southern hemisphere, DST is a totally different story.

I would very much like to start posting my puzzles here but I still need one thing clarified and the ability to have hard spaces in a post.

CLARIFICATION NEEDED:
Should I post all my puzzles (CE, CS and Samurai) in the subforum "Gattai Puzzles" or will there be subforums for each variant? IMHO the latter would be the best.

HARD SPACES:
I have over the years posted in many forums, and I was always able to proudce a hard space using the code &#0160; but it does not work here. An alternative is to add the BBCode [pre][/pre] which is similar to HTML <pre></pre>

EDIT (LINKS ADDED):
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=247533
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=1551

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 am 
Regular
Regular

Thanx Richard
Looks good till now. :thumbs: I am glad we have a new home where we can "meet" each other.
I am afraid it will be difficult for Cowgirl and me to follow all, but we will survive. :study:
I like the smileys and the colours.
A few years ago we had a dutch forum with a "bar" where we could share all what we wanted. Birthday's, jokes anything what we liked. :joker: :king: :king: Just for fun.
Can we do this here too?
And Richard. Please don't ever go away without leaving a message, you know what's happening then. And i am not calling you at home.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

Marlie wrote:
I am afraid it will be difficult for Cowgirl and me to follow all, but we will survive.
Welcome!

If I can find a Dutch language pack, I could at least give you the option of some native language support!

Quote:
A few years ago we had a dutch forum with a "bar" where we could share all what we wanted. Birthday's, jokes anything what we liked. Just for fun.
Can we do this here too?
Sounds like a good idea - I can easily set up a separate section for "Relaxation", if people want one.

Rgds
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:25 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

A top-level forum named something like "The Sudoku(Solver) Bar / Off Topic" is absolute a good idea ... or one Bar pluss an "Off-Topic" top-level forum.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:55 pm 
Regular
Regular

hmm Borge I thin :thumbs: :lol: k you are our barman for this forum :uberviking: