SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Am I the only one?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:20 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Am I the only one here who doesn't care for killers or other arithmetic-based puzzles?

Post subject: Re: Am I the only one?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:42 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

enxio27 wrote:
Am I the only one here who doesn't care for killers or other arithmetic-based puzzles?
Certainly NOT. I have never tried solving killers or other arithmetic-based puzzles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:05 pm 
Regular
Regular

Considering I have a degree in math, one would think I would enjoy the Killer sudoku. But I don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:06 pm 
Addict
Addict

I can't do much math, but I can do some memorization. That's what it really takes for Killers.

That and having a table of the combinations handy. Once the combinations are filled in, it's more like Sukaku.

Amy Grace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

That's too bad, I guess you guys will miss out on the enjoyment and excitement my new avatar brings. :ugeek:

(Full credit to Jean-Christophe, who created such an amazing puzzle. :salute:)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:24 am 

Dear Enxio

I do hope that you'll give the Killers another chance, because many of us find them the most satisfying of all these puzzles, particularly because they allow infinite scope for combinations and divisions (and the arithmetic isn't hard (multiples of 45); it's more a question of seeing how the cages fit together, to reveal eliminations). They do require quite different strategies from 'plain' Sudoku but are all the better for that, once you get the hang of them (lots of scribbling in the margins to check the possibilities).

[So maybe that's why they appeal more to pen/pencil/paper/eraser people, rather than those who use spreadsheets/computer solvers?]

Try "killersudoku.online.com" for all levels of difficulty, or

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... es/sudoku/

for a range of non-symmetrical examples, increasing in difficulty over each week.

Ruud's Assassins, and those here, are really at the top of the scale and could, I imagine, be quite a frustrating place to start. (They're pretty frustrating altogether!!! but also allow us all to aspire to an ultimate challenge.) They also seem to be designed by real people, not just generated by computer programmes, and so include some element of human engagement with the setter.

All best

s

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:27 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

JLynn wrote:
Considering I have a degree in math, one would think I would enjoy the Killer sudoku. But I don't.

You, too? My degree is in math (and physics), too. For me, it's because I do sudoku to relax, and throwing the math in there makes it too much like work. I don't even like figuring out pencil marks. Not my idea of relaxation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

metropolitan wrote:
I do hope that you'll give the Killers another chance, because many of us find them the most satisfying of all these puzzles,

I may give one a try, just to say I did so, but I don't foresee becoming a killer fan anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:12 pm 
Regular
Regular

enxio27 wrote:
I may give one a try, just to say I did so, but I don't foresee becoming a killer fan anytime soon.

Enxio27, did you give killers a go? Since I am a paper and pencil guy, I find the advanced killers much more challenging on the morning train than advanced standard sudokus, as the latter tend to need more than just a pencil and the newspaper. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Bigtone53 wrote:
Enxio27, did you give killers a go? Since I am a paper and pencil guy, I find the advanced killers much more challenging on the morning train than advanced standard sudokus, as the latter tend to need more than just a pencil and the newspaper. :)

Not yet. I'm still trying to get through Boerge's enxio27 Samurai #1--I keep messing something up.

My sudoku time (what little there is) may be drastically reduced very soon due to school starting Monday for my children, and possibly a new job for me (I'm working Monday and Tuesday on a trial basis, 3:00am to 10:00am). I worked from 5:30am to 8:30am this morning (went to bed too late last night), and I'm ready to go take a nap (it's only 3:00pm my time). :drunk: