A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Forum Structure
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:56 am 
Expert
Expert

Børge (on the Thanks for the Forum thread) wrote:
Should I post all my puzzles (CE, CS and Samurai) in the subforum "Gattai Puzzles" or will there be subforums for each variant? IMHO the latter would be the best.

I agree with Børge that a single, generic, "Gattai Puzzles" forum is not the best approach. We should not forget that most people will be coming from sudocue.net, and would immediately feel at home if the forum structure here was similar. Of course, if we don't expect some puzzle types to appear for a while (like Texas Jigsaw Killers, for example), then separate forums for these should not be created up front, but only later (on demand). However, with Børge's presence on the forum, it's clear that we will soon have a good supply of the three puzzle types mentioned above.

However, it's probably easier for Richard to create 3 separate top-level forums for these, because AFAIK subforum support isn't available for phpBB out of the box, but only after custom mods have been applied. Using top-level forums would also correspond to the approach used on sudocue.net. The generic "Gattai Puzzles" forum could then be removed (after moving any existing topics to the corresponding specific forum, of course).

If we wait too long on this one, the more awkward the transition will be.

Richard, what are your thoughts on this one?

P.S. Børge, I also agree with your proposal that Richard should switch the DST option off. Can't see the point of displaying times in UTC + DST instead of just UTC.

Post subject: Re: Forum Structure
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:19 am 
Site Admin

mhparker wrote:
However, it's probably easier for Richard to create 3 separate top-level forums for these, because AFAIK subforum support isn't available for phpBB out of the box, but only after custom mods have been applied. Using top-level forums would also correspond to the approach used on sudocue.net. The generic "Gattai Puzzles" forum could then be removed (after moving any existing topics to the corresponding specific forum, of course).
Done - Clueless Explosion, Clueless Special and Samurai forums created. I could create sub-forums, but I don't want a large menu hierarchy.

Quote:
P.S. Børge, I also agree with your proposal that Richard should switch the DST option off. Can't see the point of displaying times in UTC + DST instead of just UTC.
Can you check your user profiles on this one. As far as I can see, the server settings are UTC - GMT, with no DST. When I log into the fourm I see "All Times are UTC" - same, if I visit as a guest.

In your "User Control Panel", you can set your own preference for TimeZone - maybe that is overriding the system settings?

Rgds
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:28 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
Done - Clueless Explosion, Clueless Special and Samurai forums created. I could create sub-forums, but I don't want a large menu hierarchy.
Richard, thanks.
What you have done is what I meant by sub-forums, sorry for the term muddle.
I will start posting my puzzles here next week and will start with number 1. Here my suggestion for names, but I am absolute open to other ideas. Can be that I on occasions will post a bonus puzzle. Hopefully the ability to do hard spaces will follow sometime later.

Regular Clueless Explosion #N
Regular Clueless Special #N
Regular Samurai #N

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:01 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
mhparker wrote:
Can you check your user profiles on this one. As far as I can see, the server settings are UTC - GMT, with no DST. When I log into the fourm I see "All Times are UTC" - same, if I visit as a guest.

In your "User Control Panel", you can set your own preference for TimeZone - maybe that is overriding the system settings?
DST on/off is changeable through: "User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit global settings > Summer Time/DST is in effect:"
Just a little bit difficult to detect.