SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:17 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I looked through the Help files, but couldn't find definite answers to these questions:

1. It appears (but I can't tell for sure) that clicking on "Save" while a constituent grid of a Samurai is displayed will save the entire puzzle, and that I don't need to save each grid to a separate file. Is that correct?

2. Is there any way to display the entire Samurai at once from within SudokuSolver?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

enxio27 wrote:
1. It appears (but I can't tell for sure) that clicking on "Save" while a constituent grid of a Samurai is displayed will save the entire puzzle, and that I don't need to save each grid to a separate file. Is that correct?
Correct - the whole puzzle is saved.

Quote:
2. Is there any way to display the entire Samurai at once from within SudokuSolver?
If you are using version the latest version 3.1.0 , there are a couple of ways.

In the right hand side, there is the small mimic diagram showing the 5 grids in a small picture that you use for moving from grid to grid. If you double click in this (but not on any single grid) it will expand to fill most of the right side and will show you the whole Samurai with candidates. Alternatively, right click in this area and check Zoom and Candidates separately.

If you just want to see/print the whole puzzle, choose Print from the File menu: on the print dialog box, choose "Composite Grid" from the drop down list and then click preview to view the whole grid. You can then print it out if you want.

Rgds
Richard

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:06 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
Correct - the whole puzzle is saved.

Ok, thanks!

Quote:
In the right hand side, there is the small mimic diagram showing the 5 grids in a small picture that you use for moving from grid to grid. If you double click in this (but not on any single grid) it will expand to fill most of the right side and will show you the whole Samurai with candidates.

Exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

That brings up a new question. I've always understood the term "candidates" to be synonymous with "pencil marks", but it appears that SudokuSolver uses it to mean "clues" or "givens". Is my understanding incorrect?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:40 am 
Site Admin

enxio27 wrote:
That brings up a new question. I've always understood the term "candidates" to be synonymous with "pencil marks", but it appears that SudokuSolver uses it to mean "clues" or "givens". Is my understanding incorrect?
You make a fair point. I refer to Candidates to mean Pencil Marks - i.e. whatever posibilities are remaining in a cell, including a Given or a Placement.

For the Gattai navigator, I put the menu option to "Show Candidates" because it was my intention (and I still need to get around to it) to give a visual indication of the Candidates in all the sub-grids. I ended up just showing where the number of Candidates was reduced to a single digit, because the size of the cells was making the display look too cluttered.

So when you first load a Gattai, the Gattai navigator shows the original clues. As the you start solving the puzzle, any cells that you solve are also reflected in the navigator diagram, so you can see the relative completeness of the sub-grids.

Rgds
Richard