SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:03 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm working on a Samurai puzzle (tarek's Regular Samurai #16B, to be exact). I got all of the grids except #1, but got stuck, so I fired up SudokuSolver to give me a hint. I entered all of the solved cells, and the program then reported "Puzzle complete", presumably because the center grid is solved. However, I don't consider it complete because I still haven't finished solving grid #1. Now it won't give me any hints.

Then I tried using the "Step" function, but got the following error:

Quote:
Unexpected error in Solver: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at WindowsApplication1.Solver.setTupleHouseFound(Int32 iGrid, HouseTypes houseType, Int32 iHouse, Int32 iTuple)
at WindowsApplication1.Solver.setTupleHouseFound(Int32 iGrid, Int32 iCell, Int32 iTuple)
at WindowsApplication1.Solver.PlaceAllKnowns()
at WindowsApplication1.Solver.Find_All_Naked_Singles()
at WindowsApplication1.Solver.SolverIteration(Boolean allowComplex)

HELP!! :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:46 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

If you have solved the complete Samurai except grid #1, try entering grid #1 as a vanilla puzzle. Easier and less error prone.

The problems you have with SudokuSolver are probably caused by either your solution being invalid, or you have made input error(s) when entering the digits from your paper into SudokuSolver.

The error message you got is a partial .NET stack trace due to an unexpected null-pointer causing a NullReferenceException.
Richard is always interested in getting bug reports, so I suggest you send him an email or PM with all the information you have, including a scan of your paper solution and any screen shots.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:13 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Børge wrote:
or you have made input error(s) when entering the digits from your paper into SudokuSolver.

That could be. I apparently didn't save the puzzle progess when I posted the above, so I went back to enter it again. This time, just to save time, I let SS solve all but grid #1 and manually updated the solved cells and candidates in grid #1. This time I'm not getting errors. Unfortunately for me, however, the puzzle apparently requires an advanced move beyond my skill level to solve grid #1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

enxio27 wrote:
This time I'm not getting errors. Unfortunately for me, however, the puzzle apparently requires an advanced move beyond my skill level to solve grid #1.
You are absolutely right. To solve grid #1 you need either a "Y-Wing" or an "XY-X-Chain".