A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ruud's Clueless Helper
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:46 pm 
Expert
Expert

All,

Has anyone figured out a way to input Clueless and Clueless Explosions into Ruud's helper program, in a manner similar to Samurai inputting?

To bad this capability wasn't built in to Ruud's helper before he left.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:12 pm 
Expert
Expert

The only method I've been able to use is:-

1) Load a 'kosher' version of one of the Puzzles either from Ruud's archive or one you've saved somewhere.
2) Enter 0's for all cells in all grids. This restores the pencil marks for a blank grid.
3) Finally manually enter the givens.

You can combine stages 2) and 3) if you're feeling lucky but I've messed it up enough to separate the two stages out.

Still like to use Clueless Helper if I know the puzzle is simple enough to play through in one session.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:22 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi Glyn,
Thanks for the information. To type in the givens from 9 sudoku puzzles is beyond what I would want to do.

Just curious, why if it is only an easy clueless would you use Ruud's helper? I like the helper for both clueless and samurai puzzles.

I wish Ruud had left someone the un-compiled version of his great software.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:22 pm 
Addict
Addict

nj3h wrote:
To type in the givens from 9 sudoku puzzles is beyond what I would want to do.
Same for me, that is the main reason I have not used CluelessHelper lately :evil:
nj3h wrote:
Just curious, why if it is only an easy clueless would you use Ruud's helper?
I do not know about Glyn, but I prefer Ruud's CluelesHelper mainly for it's ease of use and fast elimination of candidates over rows, columns or nonets. Somehow similar to 'diggit' If you ever played it 8-)
For ten grids you really need speed to move fast across the eliminations, note also that Ruuds Challenge Clueless where very much oriented in simple techniques, so the program was just perfect for the job.
The best substitute I have found is SudokuSolver, which has been updated to allow a better ergonomics, only a couple of navigation combination are not yet completly smooth. Learning curve is stepy, just after a dozen of Clueless you get back to a good solving speed :!:
nj3h wrote:
I wish Ruud had left someone the un-compiled version of his great software.
I really miss Ruud very much :( , but I really think the momentum the community is acquiring shows that something is more important than source code, something I will call Sudoku consciousness and that is part of what Ruud did left to all of us :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:12 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Oscar wrote:
I really miss Ruud very much :( , but I really think the momentum the community is acquiring shows that something is more important than source code, something I will call Sudoku consciousness and that is part of what Ruud did left to all of us :roll:

Just FYI, Ruud is very much alive and well, just not in "sudoku-land". He's apparently off to new adventures elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:34 am 
Expert
Expert

I prefer Clueless Helper like everyone else for the ease of data entry during the game, though sadly not at the start. The reason why I am wary of it for the hard problems that are posted now is that backtracking is not easy if you make a blunder. SS has the bookmark facility which is really useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:12 pm 
Addict
Addict

I got a new computer and want to install Clueless Helper here. Does anyone know if you can still get the permanent version for $5? Does Ruud check for requested activations any more?

Amy Grace