A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SudokuSolver
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

HI All

nearly there with the new version

Just to whet your appetite, here's a screenshot. Hopefully I'll get the new version released for the start of May

Rgds
Richard

Post subject: Re: SudokuSolver
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:22 am 
Regular
Regular

Will be looking forward to the new version

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:40 pm 
Addict
Addict

Looks great! Good types, big and legible. Overview of the whole clueless sudokus :sun:
Can't wait to see how navigation among them is done
Are you also providing a quick shift bertween highlights :scratch:
Now that I am getting used to the user interface I am appreciating it more and more
Congratulations for this great program :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Oscar wrote:
Looks great! Good types, big and legible. Overview of the whole clueless sudokus :sun:
Can't wait to see how navigation among them is done
Are you also providing a quick shift bertween highlights :scratch:
Now that I am getting used to the user interface I am appreciating it more and more
Congratulations for this great program :thumbs:

The area on the right can be shrunk and expanded - and it can either show the placed candidates in all the grids or just show a small navigator picture. If the whole puzzle is bigger than the right side window you can drag it around to see the whole thing.

I've greatly simplified the navigation. As you move your mouse over the locator images, it puts a little highlight on the puzzle - and a single click brings it into the main window. Also no more Store and Get - every move is automatically stored in each grid.

I've also implemented some new shortcut keys to move quickly between highlight digits (somebody suggested that and it seemed like a good idea ;) )

Now all I've got to do is rewrite the help files - such a big set of changes to include: as well as the extended Gattai (and I've built in Gattais up to Shaolin and Gattai-21 Clueless) I've also been busy with some additional Killer techniques including Implied Cage Blockers, Hidden Killer Triples, Killer Quads, made the candidate highlighting more flexible, added in a couple of other visual tweaks to provide feedback on the pencil mark under the cursor and improved the rendering of fonts.

It's been a busy few weeks!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:02 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Richard, am I missing something, or is there not a way to calculate pencil-marks for an entire puzzle (esp. multi-grid) all at once?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:48 am 
Site Admin

enxio27 wrote:
Richard, am I missing something, or is there not a way to calculate pencil-marks for an entire puzzle (esp. multi-grid) all at once?
Hi - you're not missing something. The released version doesn't curently do this, but the new version I'm getting ready has a "Place All Singles" menu option which will set the initial pencil marks in all sub-grids.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:33 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
Hi - you're not missing something. The released version doesn't curently do this, but the new version I'm getting ready has a "Place All Singles" menu option which will set the initial pencil marks in all sub-grids.

But that will place the singles as well as setting the pencil marks, correct? I would prefer to have just the pencil marks, even for singles, including naked singles.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:12 am 
Site Admin

enxio27 wrote:
But that will place the singles as well as setting the pencil marks, correct?
I think what I have built will do exactly what you want.

When you first load a puzzle it has all pencil marks as 123456789

When you click this new option it will update all pencil marks (in all grids) based on the defined cells - but it will leave naked singles unplaced, so you still need to go looking for them.

If you click the option again, it will go looking for naked singles and place them for you.

P.S.
Nearly there with the testing.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Hi All

I've just posted the new version 3.0.3 of SudokuSolver here http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/SudokuSolver.msi with a new help file http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/SudokuSolverHelp.msi

The website http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/ has also been updated with the new program features.

The program has an array of new features - the full change log is shown below.

Enjoy!

Rgds
Richard

Code:
Version 3.0.3
   1. Change to puzzle loading - Description taken from file name if no description is included in the file
   2. Allowed for more generalised Gattai puzzles
   3. Extensive change to extended puzzle locator for Gattai puzzles
          * Gattai locator can be expanded and reduced using double click or context menu in the locator image
          * Candidate display in the Gattai locator can be controlled from the context menu in the locator image
          * Extended puzzles larger than the display area can be scrolled by grabbing and dragging with the mouse
   4. Modified Locked Candidates Box/Line routine to also lock in overlapping grids in a Gattai puzzle
   5. Modified solving steps for Gattai puzzles:
          * The solver will try simple techniques on the current grid until there are no further eliminations
          * The solver will then switch to another grid with the most pending changes and look for simple eliminations
          * When there are no more simple step to be found, the solver will look for a single advanced step on the current grid and switch grids until an advanced step is found
          * The solver will then start looking for simple steps again, and the process repeats until the puzzle is solved or there are no more advanced eliminations found
   6. Allowed more flexibility over Gattai solver steps
          * Single simple step in the current grid only
          * All simple steps in the current grid only
          * Single step in the current grid - including advanced techniques
          * All steps in the current grid only - including advanced techniques
          * Single step through the puzzle
          * All steps through the puzzle
   7. Fixed bug in Empty Rectangle routine missing XY-chain eliminations
   8. Fixed bugs in 45 Rule routines missing Single Outies and using incorrect complexity algorithms
   9. Added a new check to 45 Rule routines to identify locked candidates
  10. Fixed problem in 45 Rule checks missing some simple eliminations in double cells
  11. Fixed problem in Empty Rectangle eliminations where incorrect elimination were being made
  12. Added Killer Quads and modified Cage Info to display quad blockers
  13. Modified Hidden Killer Pairs to find more general eliminations and added Hidden Killer Triples and Hidden Killer Quads
  14. Modified Forced Killer Pairs to find more general eliminations and added Forced Killer Triples
  15. Added Implied Cage Blocker routine
  16. Fixed bug where puzzle description was being lost when resetting a puzzle
  17. Fixed bug in Naked Triangle finding invalid eliminations
  18. Added more flexibility in 45 Rule checks - two new complexity variants included
  19. Added search box in Solver Options window to more quickly located solver routines in the scrolling window
  20. Improved clarity of log reporting for Cage Placement eliminations

Version 3.0.2 (Unreleased)
   1. Modified the user interface to feedback the digit under the cursor in the current cell
   2. Changed Cell Digit highlighting to provide more flexibility
          * Single click on the digit panel sets/unsets only that digit for highlighting
          * Ctrl-Click on the digitpanel adds/removes that digit from the group of highlighted digits
          * Highlight Type controls candidate selection in the highlighting. For example, if {123} are selected in the digit panel:
                o "All Digits", will highlight cells with 1 and 2 and 3
                o "Any Digits" will highlight cell with 1 or 2 or 3
                o "Only Digits will highlight cells with 1 or 2 or 3 and no other digits
          * Cell Types controls whether the maximum number of candidates in a cell to be highlighted
                o "Marks Only" will not highlight singles
                o "Marks & Singles" will highlight any matching cells
                o "Singles Only" will highlight any matching single cells
                o "Pairs", "Triples" and "Quads" will highlight any matching tuple cells - if no digits are selected, all cells with the tuple are highlighted
   3. Introduced some additional keyboard shortcuts:
          * When the cell highlighter has been used to highlight a candidate, the candidate can be placed in the current cell by pressing (space bar)
          * Current Highlight digit can be changed using Ctrl and (up), (down), (right), (left)
   4. Added menu option to place all singles

Version 3.0.1 (Limited Release)
   1. Fixed display problem for PCs using ClearType

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well done Richard, nice improvements to Gattai.

For Borge's information Explosions 1A and 1C can be solved without intervention. 1B and, of course 1D, stall.