SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: JSudoku
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:03 pm 
Addict
Addict

Ed wrote:
Hi Gran

Hi Eddie Baby :)

How are you Honeybunch, Sweetie Pie? (I think there was some more, but I can't remember the rest :) )

I almost missed the "Hi Gran". I only noticed it when I was editing the "Quote".

Ah yes, there was something else. Thanks for the response :)

I understood what you said - in well under 42 minutes :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

Greetings,

I installed JSudoku on our XP computer. When I go to preferences/generator the generator screen doesn't display.

The window continues to display what was already within the window from whatever Preference Tab was active.

On my Win 98 computer, I don't have a problem with this.

Does anyone have a thought on how to get the generator window to display?

Regards,
George.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:13 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I have never seen this problem with any of the XP editions I use (Home/Professional)
After LEFT-CLICKING the Generator Icon it can take several seconds before the screen displays.
PLEASE BE PATIENT!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi Borge,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have let the screen sit there for 5 minutes and it never appears. I was hoping to use this faster computer to generate puzzles. :brickwall:

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Do you get the three other screens, General, Apperance and Key Bindings?

If this is a new computer, have you upgraded to SP3 and laoded all other recommended Microsoft updates?
How have you transferred JSudoku from your old to your new computer?

When JSudoku starts, which Java version does it display in the first small startup screen?

Please try the following:
In the Solvers Tab, right click and do "Export Solvers' List..." and save it in the same folder as the JSudoku binary.
Exit and restart JSudoku.
Does the Generator screen appear now?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi Borge,

===
EDIT: I did modify the solver list. Unfortunately, I can get no puzzles to be generated. Puzzles now being presented that match criteria. Funny though, I don't get triples or pairs in the list of techniques.
===

Sorry for the delay in replying. The forum site wouldn't load last night and this morning it is very slow.

Yes I have SP3 loaded. I did finally get the generator screen to come up last night, after I had JS create a puzzle, then the generator screen worked. This morning, the same thing happened until I had JS create a puzzle.

I did save the solver's list as you suggested and the generator screen did come up as it was supposed to. Thanks for that idea.

Ok, last night I used the nj3h and nj3h-2.xml files that you uploaded for me back in the summer. I was able to get a number of samurai puzzles. Many of them had techniques that were above and beyond the settings in the xml file.

Should I go into the solver's screen on the right-hand side of the screen and uncheck the techniques that I do not want from there as well and then resave the solver's list? In other words, should the solver's list match the nj3h file?

Also, on the generator screen, there are the slide bars for guesses and bottlenecks, Last night, these bars were not set at the extremes, they were set somewhere in the middle. Now, they are set, in order, minimum, maximum, minimum. When I loaded in the nj3h.xml settings, I thought these bars moved to some other setting. Not so this morning. So again, I need to go back through your previous messages from July and try to find the setting for the slide bars that I should use. For some reason, the values weren't retained.

Also, is there a way to maintain the nj3h settings file as the default file on the generator screen? When I re-started JS this morning, the generator settings were back to ANY as the difficulty level.

Running JS on the XP computer is such an improvement over my Win 98 slow machine. I can now see how you were able to generate puzzles in a few minutes, as opposes to an hour on my slow computer. I feel I am now getting close to what I am looking for. So any additional comments on my paragraphs above will be most helpful. Perhaps, just comment after each paragraph will make it easier.

Borge, I do very much apprecaite all the time you have spent helping me to get JS configured the way I need it to be. I should have upgraded to a faster computer a long time ago. Have an enjoyable weekend.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:43 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

George,

I have tried to reproduce your original problem, that the Generator screen/window doesn't display. Without success.
To be able to reproduce it, I assume that I need a PC where JSudoku was never used extensively before,
or first have to remove JSudoku completely including all registry entries it uses.

JSudoku saves a large number of settings, using both .XML files in the same folder where "JSudoku.exe" resides and using Java Preferences which is part of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
Jean-Christophe mentions the use of Java Preferences IN THIS POST.
Under the Windows operating system Java Preferences is implemented using the Windows Registry. Under other operating systems it is implemented differently.

My best guess is that the Generator window will only display when a solvers' setting file (JSudokuSolvers.xml) is present in the the folder where the currently executing "JSudoku.exe" resides and certain Jave Preferences exist. Whenever you change the solvers' setting and close JSudoku it saves the current solvers' setting, UNLESS THEY MATCH THE DEFAULT SETTINGS, in the file "JSudokuSolvers.xml" in the folder where the currently executing "JSudoku.exe" resides.

nj3h wrote:
Should I go into the solver's screen on the right-hand side of the screen and uncheck the techniques that I do not want from there as well and then resave the solver's list? In other words, should the solver's list match the nj3h file?
Definitely YES.
Unless you are absolutely 100% sure you know what you are doing, always use the same .XML file or settings (same solvers enabled and same sequence) in both THE SOLVERS' LIST and THE GENERATOR.

As I originally wrote TWICE in the Help with generating puzzles in JSudoku thread, you should import the nj3h.xml or nj3h_2.xml file into both THE SOLVERS' LIST and THE GENERATOR as follows:

1) Solvers > Import Solvers' List...    (right click in the Solvers Tab Pane)

2) Options > Preferences... > Generator > Difficulty (Select Difficulty [gets a blue background] and click on the Folder icon now visible)

nj3h wrote:
Also, is there a way to maintain the nj3h settings file as the default file on the generator screen?
YES. Do the following:
  • Determine the .XML solvers' setting file to be used.
  • Import that .XML solvers' setting file into the Solvers' List as described in item 1) above.
  • Import the EXACTLY SAME .XML solvers' setting file into the Generator window as described in item 2) above.
  • Click the Apply button
  • Click the OK button
  • Exit JSudoku (File > Exit)

nj3h wrote:
Also, on the generator screen, there are the slide bars for guesses and bottlenecks, Last night, these bars were not set at the extremes, they were set somewhere in the middle. Now, they are set, in order, minimum, maximum, minimum. When I loaded in the nj3h.xml settings, I thought these bars moved to some other setting. Not so this morning. So again, I need to go back through your previous messages from July and try to find the setting for the slide bars that I should use. For some reason, the values weren't retained.
The settings of the FIVE slide bars guiding the following three items are stored in the solvers' setting .XML file currently loaded into the Generator window.
Number of guesses
Singles bottleneck
Number of givens

To set and save them do the following:
  1. Use the currently imported .XML solvers' setting file or import the .XML solvers' setting file for which the values are to be changed into the Generator window as described in item 2) above.
  2. CHECK the Unlock expert options : Image
  3. Set the slide bar(s) to the desired position(s)
  4. Click the Apply button
  5. Click the OK button

The settings for Symmetries and Retry delay are stored globally (in the Registry using Java Preferences) and independently of the solvers' setting .XML file loaded into the Generator window.
To set and save them, try the following
  1. CHECK the Unlock expert options : Image
  2. Set Symmetries and/or Retry delay to the desired values
  3. Click the Apply button
  4. Click the OK button

To speed up puzzle generation, here my preferred settings:
Number of guesses = 0-50 = FULL RANGE
Singles bottleneck = 0 = FULL RANGE
Symmetries = ALL
Number of givens = FULL RANGE
Overlapping grids = CAN HAVE GIVENS
Retry delay = UNLIMITED

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:07 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi Borge,

Just got back from my in-laws, who live 225 miles away. I will fine tune my settings based on your last message. Now that I am using a faster computer, I am definitely seeing success now. Your patience and help has been both wonderful and much appreciated.

Hope your weekend was a productive and relaxing one.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi Borge,

Thanks again for the detailed explanations from over the weekend. I now have JSudoku humming right along, just as I had wanted for a long time now. Your response and help is appreciated. I am sure others have been able to use your information for their own specific needs as well. Moving the generated puzzles into Sudoku Solver has been working great and solving them in that program.

I sent Richard a message asking it as possible to add a specific grid to his list of overlapping puzzles. For some reason, I had JS produce some Wing (3) puzzles. This pattern is like the Samurai, but without the bottom two grids. Anyway, SS doesn't have the Wing (3) in its bag of tricks. Richard does have a future plan to allow the player to create his own patterns for overlapping puzzles. These patterns must be imbedded within the program, since I couldn't find a file that I could "manually" add a pattern to. I am sure he is busy with work, so perhaps when he has time he will be so kind to add this pattern.

It is a nice feeling when things come together nicely.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:50 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi George,

I'm glad to hear that everything now works to your satisfaction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next