SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sumocue problem
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:48 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

This is really the first time I've ever played around with Sumocue, since I'm not really in to Killers, and I'm just now starting to look at Jigsaws.

I was trying to find a way to import an existing jigsaw from an image file into Sumocue. I first ran it through Sadman Sudoku's OCR function to get the 81-character puzzle string. (Sadman Sudoku of course reported that the puzzle was invalid since it doesn't "do" jigsaw.) Then I went into Sumocue, created the jigsaw nonets, and was able to import that 81-character string into the grid. COOL!!

Except for one problem: Sumocue won't save it! The "Save" option is greyed out. "Copy Sumocue" copies only the nonet borders, not the numbers. :brickwall:

HELP!!!

Post subject: Re: Sumocue problem
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:04 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I did the same with SudokuSolver, and was able to save the puzzle. However, when I try to export the puzzle definition, it does the same thing as Sumocue and copies the nonet borders without the numbers. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:29 pm 
Addict
Addict

enxio27 wrote:
Except for one problem: Sumocue won't save it! The "Save" option is greyed out.

"Save" is only enabled in Setup mode! The mode (Setup or Play) is indicated at the bottom left corner of the window. Be sure to hit F2 to enter Setup mode before trying to save! After opening, saving or inserting (cut&paste) a puzzle the program automatically switches to Play mode.

Here is how I would create a jigsaw puzzle from an existing picture with SumoCue:
1. Open SumoCue, select File->New Jigsaw. Select your jigsaw design from a list of 20 designs.
2. Enter the given digits at the appropriate positions. They will be shown as 1-cell-cages.
3. Save your puzzle.
-- or -- (if you want to use your own design or it isn't in the list)
1. Open SumoCue or select File->New. You are now in Setup mode.
2. Create your 9 jigsaw cages. After creating the 9th cage the program asks you if you want to switch to jigsaw mode. Say yes.
3. Enter the given digits at the appropriate positions. They will be shown as 1-cell-cages.
4. Save your puzzle.

Now you can use Edit->Copy (SumoCue) for export to SudokuSolver or JSudoku (or maybe another program).

I still use SumoCue very often, especially while creating new killers. The cage pattern is designed in a very short time. I also use it to solve killers and jigsaws from the daily and weekly competition at sudoku.org.uk. Granted, you don't have hidden cages or stuff like that implemented. If you need that switch to SudokuSolver (very good) or JSudoku (haven't used it very often, still trying to figure out how to use it most of the time).

BTW - if you want to solve the daily jigsaw mentioned above you can fetch them with JSudoku (very useful!), then solve them directly there or use copy&paste to bring them to SumoCue or SudokuSolver.

Here are the programs I use:
JSudoku - for fetching puzzles and solving killer variants (noncon, ...)
SudoCue - for the daily competition sudoku and for creating the solution for a newly designed killer
SumoCue - for solving jigsaws and most non-Assassin killers and designing new killers
SudokuSolver - for solving difficult killers, samurai, clueless and explosion puzzles

Cheers,
Nasenbaer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:48 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Nasenbaer wrote:
enxio27 wrote:
Except for one problem: Sumocue won't save it! The "Save" option is greyed out.

"Save" is only enabled in Setup mode! The mode (Setup or Play) is indicated at the bottom left corner of the window. Be sure to hit F2 to enter Setup mode before trying to save! After opening, saving or inserting (cut&paste) a puzzle the program automatically switches to Play mode.

The trouble is, as soon as I copy the numbers, the program switches to "Play" mode, and if I switch it back to "Setup", it wipes out the entire puzzle. I was wanting to use copy-paste to avoid typing mistakes and save time. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :evil:

I can't even get Jigsaw Edit mode enabled in SudokuSolver. No matter what I do, the Jigsaw Edit buttons are greyed out. :brickwall: (And until Richard releases the next version with the printing fixed, I'm kinda up a creek with SudokuSolver, anyway.)