SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

Ed wrote:
Also can't do much solving at the moment as Richard is back onto killer SudokuSolver. Get your orders in quick!

There are two things in particular that I've been wanting to mention for some time:

1. When solving the whole puzzle with F11, the user interface often seems unable to keep up with the engine, resulting (for example) in the display going blank, only to re-appear again when the puzzle is either done or almost done. The problem seems to be exacerbated by a fast animation speed. A synchronization problem between display and engine, perhaps?
  2. It would be nice if the selection could be retained (as far as possible) when single-stepping through a puzzle. This first came to my attention when trying to see where SS was eliminating a critical combination. I was hoping to be able to select a cage, then step through the puzzle with F10 whilst visually monitoring the "Combinations" window, looking out for the combination of interest becoming unchecked. Unfortunately, it didn't work, because the selection is lost (and cage information on right-hand side cleared) after performing a step, meaning that the cage of interest needs to be selected afresh each time, which is inconvenient.

BTW, nice to know that the SS software is still being updated at an impressive rate! Thanx, Richard!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:31 am 
Site Admin

mhparker wrote:
There are two things in particular that I've been wanting to mention for some time:
BTW, nice to know that the SS software is still being updated at an impressive rate! Thanx, Richard!
Worked on both of these. I've got a working solution to keeping a Cage focused as you step through. I've also done some work to improve the display refreshing - it's improved but not sure how it will perform on various PC speeds.

Rgds
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi Richard,

rcbroughton wrote:
I've got a working solution to keeping a Cage focused as you step through.

It's also in your published feature list for v3.2.1. However, it doesn't seem to work for me with this version. Did it really make the cut?