SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:31 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

1. I'm encountering a bug that causes SS to crash when the Help Index is invoked. I'm still trying to figure out the exact conditions under which it happens, but it seems to be related to enabling "Show Marks", then invoking "Place All Singles", and then trying to access the Help Index. Don't know whether or not it's significant, but I had SudokuGrabber open at the same time.

2. Is there any way you could add Even-Odd as a puzzle type, or at the very least, give users a function to manually select cells and change their background color? (Multiple colors would be wonderful!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 am 
Site Admin

enxio27 wrote:
1. I'm encountering a bug that causes SS to crash when the Help Index is invoked. I'm still trying to figure out the exact conditions under which it happens, but it seems to be related to enabling "Show Marks", then invoking "Place All Singles", and then trying to access the Help Index. Don't know whether or not it's significant, but I had SudokuGrabber open at the same time.
Sounds like it could be environmental. Does Help Index work normally otherwise?

enxio27 wrote:
2. Is there any way you could add Even-Odd as a puzzle type, or at the very least, give users a function to manually select cells and change their background color? (Multiple colors would be wonderful!)
I can look at including Even-Odd and having a tool in set-up mode to identify a cell as ODD/EVEN/UNDEFINED ... so I can only think we need 3 colours. What's your thinking on multiple colours?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
Sounds like it could be environmental. Does Help Index work normally otherwise?

Yes, I was able to get it to work without crashing by loading the puzzle and not invoking "Place All Singles" beforehand. I'll see whether I can narrow down the steps to reliably repeat the crash. I'm sure it's something obscure, because I've never run into this before.

Quote:
I can look at including Even-Odd and having a tool in set-up mode to identify a cell as ODD/EVEN/UNDEFINED ... so I can only think we need 3 colours. What's your thinking on multiple colours?

Adding Even-Odd (at least to work out pencil marks) would be handy, but the manual cell background colors would be useful for printing a lot of disjoint group puzzles in various patterns, even without adding pencil marks or solving techniques. If I could just get manually colored cell backgrounds for nothing more than printing purposes, I would be a happy camper. Here are a few examples:

http://www.menneske.no/sudoku/dg/3/eng/

http://www.brainfreezepuzzles.com/zones.html

http://www.brainfreezepuzzles.com/rainbow.html

Of course, all of these puzzles could be imported/exported using the irregular puzzle code format we discussed some time ago, if you're still interested in that.

Being able to color cell borders for Consecutive/Non-Consecutive puzzles would be amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:37 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

SudokuSolver crashed again. This time, I had defined a killer and had just finished removing the pencil marks eliminated by the cage sums. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy about losing all my work. :evil: I tried it again, this time making sure to save my puzzle before invoking Help, but it crashed again.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the puzzle has been imported or defined from scratch from within SudokuSolver. And again, SudokuGrabber was open at the same time. Is it possible that the help system of SudokuSolver interferes with that of SudokuGrabber?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:50 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

enxio27 wrote:
I had defined a killer and had just finished removing the pencil marks eliminated by the cage sums.
There is a very simple way to do "remove the pencil marks" which you may already know but just in case, see how to update pencil marks in SudokuSolver.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:35 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ed wrote:
There is a very simple way to do "remove the pencil marks" which you may already know but just in case, see how to update pencil marks in SudokuSolver.

Thanks, Ed! I know how to do it for regular puzzles ("Place all singles"), but it doesn't seem to work for killers. I will try your method.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 am 
Regular
Regular

Hello,

I also have something related to that version of the program. The puzzle type "Asterisk" makes no colouring or other way of showing the cells for the Asterisk numbers. Can you look at that please? I love Clover X sudokus (Sudoku, Windoku, Asterisk & Diagonals) and can import it in sudoku solver just don't see the asterisk fields and I'm not good enough to work with it without seeing them. So I also don't know if it is working at all.

Being able to colour a whole or several whole cells would be an awesome feature it would help a lot to make some puzzle types better visible if the lines or borders are not enough :whistle:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

LunaC wrote:
Hello,

I also have something related to that version of the program. The puzzle type "Asterisk" makes no colouring or other way of showing the cells for the Asterisk numbers. Can you look at that please? I love Clover X sudokus (Sudoku, Windoku, Asterisk & Diagonals) and can import it in sudoku solver just don't see the asterisk fields and I'm not good enough to work with it without seeing them. So I also don't know if it is working at all.

Being able to colour a whole or several whole cells would be an awesome feature it would help a lot to make some puzzle types better visible if the lines or borders are not enough :whistle:
Hi LunaC

Thanks for the feedback - that's definitely something that's broken - SudokuSolver is supposed to colour the cells. I can see the problem and will be able to fix it when I next get a version of the program ready.

Rgds
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:48 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
Thanks for the feedback - that's definitely something that's broken - SudokuSolver is supposed to colour the cells. I can see the problem and will be able to fix it when I next get a version of the program ready.

Thank you, Richard! Any idea when that might be? :cheesey:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:41 pm 
Regular
Regular

rcbroughton wrote:
LunaC wrote:
Hello,

Hi LunaC

Rgds
Richard

Thank you Richard, will that be annouced somewhere or will the programm tell me when updates are available?

Greetings Luna