SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:08 am 
Expert
Expert

Second Question for the day.

While working on the samurai non-consecutive puzzle above, I notice that I cannot update marks. This option is grayed out. The help file mentions being able to turn on auto marks. I cannot find such an option. All I see on the Tools Menu is Show Marks and the grayed out Update Marks.

I even have a large number placed and can only eliminate pencil marks for that number in the same column by manually deleting them.

Please help me get over what I am obviously missing.

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

nj3h wrote:
a non-consecutive samurai puzzle. When I select Non-consecutive in sudoku Solver and paste the puzzle in, I notice that pencil marks next to givens that are consecutive are not eliminated. What am I doing incorrectly? I would think that consecutive pencil marks next to a "Big" number would be automatically eliminated, just like any calculated pencil mark would be if no longer valid.
It works fine for me with one extra step, click "make one solver step" button or press F10

Looks like this

Your second question, make sure "Placement feedback" is ticked. If you make the "one solver step" described above, this feature should automatically eliminate the non-con marks.

Hope this helps
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:46 am 
Expert
Expert

Ed,

Thank you for your help. However, note r4c2 in your example. The cell's value is 5. Therefore in r5c2, why aren't the 4 and 6 pencil marks automatically eliminated like the other eliminations are?

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:54 am 
Expert
Expert

Richard you mentioned in the 3.6.1 thread that you had an option for hiding the right side of the display screen, so that only the puzzle itslf was displayed. I can not find this option in vers 3.6.3. Is it there or is it still a future item.

Thanks so much for the work you do on Sudoku Solver.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:29 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

nj3h wrote:
However, note r4c2 in your example. The cell's value is 5. Therefore in r5c2, why aren't the 4 and 6 pencil marks automatically eliminated like the other eliminations are?
See what you mean. Been a while since I did a Non-con. A fairly easy way to do it if you can be bothered is to click on each big number in the puzzle then press u on the keyboard (not ctr u as the shortcut menu says). This will update the marks correctly like this.....should only take a minute or so for all five grids.

nj3h wrote:
Richard you mentioned in the 3.6.1 thread that you had an option for hiding the right side of the display screen, so that only the puzzle itslf was displayed. I can not find this option in vers 3.6.3. Is it there or is it still a future item.
It's there just under the puzzle. The button with the arrows on it.

Just going back to your second question of the day,
nj3h wrote:
While working on the samurai non-consecutive puzzle above, I notice that I cannot update marks. This option is grayed out.
In the File menu, it should say "Mode (set-up)" If it says "Mode (Solve)" then you have to click on that.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Any word on when/if you will be implementing the "New" (user-defined) multi-grid types?

In the mean time, is there any way you could add Harakiri (vertical gattai-8):

Also, is there a way to do a Butterfly Samurai, like this:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:56 am 

I recently downloaded version 3.6.3 and am learning how to use it. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who has a jumbled cage information page when working on killer puzzles. What do I mean: The interrupt buttons cover part of the mutual excludes box so that you can not see all of them. The mutual excludes section covers a portion of the steps taken box. Did I just get a bad download or is this a glitch.
Thanks for the solver which has helped me see several techniques that I had never used before

RON

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

RON wrote:
The interrupt buttons cover part of the mutual excludes box so that you can not see all of them. The mutual excludes section covers a portion of the steps taken box.

Can you post a screen shot? I'm having trouble picturing what you're describing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:19 am 
Site Admin

RON wrote:
The interrupt buttons cover part of the mutual excludes box so that you can not see all of them. The mutual excludes section covers a portion of the steps taken box.
Only thing I can think causing this is Windows screen settings. What screen size are you running? What version of Windows?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:23 pm 

Here is a screen shot. screen resolution is 1680x1050

[img]C:\Users\User\My%20Pictures\SCREEN%20SHOTS\SOLVER%20V3.6.3.png[/img]