SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

Another SudoCue question in addition to the one about what the two dot button does,

Is there a way in SudoCue to define what techniques one desires to have used in a puzzle? In the generator option, there are difficulty levels that one can choose from. What are the definitions of these levels?

Thanks,
George

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

nj3h wrote:
Is there a way in SudoCue to define what techniques one desires to have used in a puzzle?

You can change the priority of any or all of the solving techniques on the Solver tab of the Options page. You can also choose which techniques to use or not to use.

Quote:
In the generator option, there are difficulty levels that one can choose from. What are the definitions of these levels?

Each solving technique is assigned a difficulty score (shown on the Solver tab, and user-customizable). The scores for each instance of each technique required to solve a puzzle are added up to give that puzzle a numerical difficulty score. You can choose to generate scores of a specific difficulty range. The minimum score for each difficulty range can also be customized to your liking on the Generator tab.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thank you so much for answers to my questions from both message threads. A real big help. It has been so long since I have used SudoCue, but I have always liked this program.

I wish someone had figured out how to take the key off of Ruud's Clueless Helper. Now with a different computer from back when I registered the program with him, it is useless for clueless and clueless explosion puzzles. However, it does work with Samurai puzzles and even allows them to be saved and reloaded. I have liked this program as well. One of the things I like about his program is the automatic updates between each grid. For some reason, I don't find Sudoku Solver always doing that. Of course, Richard's program handles so many more variants that it is an excellent program as well.

I wish there was a current generator to go with Richard's solver program that would generate puzzles in all of the variants. I still use Jsudoku to generate puzzles with the techniques I would like to use. It appears that Jsudoku doesn't generate jigsaw sudoku puzzles, or at least I haven't been able to in the past. Is there a good website for jigsaw sudoku puzzles?

Again thanks for all of the help today.

Regards,
George

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

nj3h wrote:
It appears that Jsudoku doesn't generate jigsaw sudoku puzzles, or at least I haven't been able to in the past.

I don't know about before, but it does now. In fact, I recently posted a jigsaw puzzle that JSudoku auto-generated for me.

Quote:
Is there a good website for jigsaw sudoku puzzles?

Wow, today is your day! I have been collecting jigsaws for a while now, and can point you to a whole slew of them. This ought to keep you busy for a while:

http://www.sudocue.net/jigsaw.php?nr=xxxx (where xxxx is puzzle number from 0001 to 1288)
http://www.menneske.no/sudoku/irr/3/eng ... mber=xxxxx (where xxxxx is puzzle number from 00001 to 18345)
http://dailysudoku.com/sudoku/archive/index.html (daily puzzles back to February 2006)
http://sudoku.org.uk/jigsaw.asp (daily, 30 days' worth in their archive)
http://sudoku.org.uk/WeeklyJigsaw.asp (weekly, 304 "extreme" puzzles so far)
http://sudoku.org.uk/Puzzles/jigsaw.asp (daily, 10 days' worth in their archive)
http://www.websudoku.com/variation/?archive=1 (two per week, only one week archived)
http://boldts.net/Sudoku/N0/ (200 puzzles in .PDF format)

Sometimes jigsaw puzzles are referred to as "squiggly", "irregular", or "nonomino". Menneske also has 131 disjoint jigsaw puzzles, 936 even-odd jigsaw, and 2040 greater-than-less-than (sudokuGT) jigsaw puzzles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:14 am 
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the links. Will give them a go.

Is there a way in JSudoku to use a jigsaw pattern that one has already come up with? In other words load a pattern that you like for whatever reason and have the program generate a jigsaw sud with that particular grid.

I see that Sud Solver supports jigsaw puzzles. I presume I can take the Jsudoku ones and the ones at your links and enter them into Sud Solver.

Again thanks for the help today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:14 am 
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the links. Will give them a go.

Is there a way in JSudoku to use a jigsaw pattern that one has already come up with? In other words load a pattern that you like for whatever reason and have the program generate a jigsaw sud with that particular grid.

I see that Sud Solver supports jigsaw puzzles. I presume I can take the Jsudoku ones and the ones at your links and enter them into Sud Solver.

Again thanks for the help today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:43 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

nj3h wrote:

If you have the SumoCue code for the puzzle, both JSudoku and SudokuSolver can import it. All of the jigsaws from SudoCue.net have SumoCue codes in tiny print below the puzzle.

If you don't have a SumoCue code, you would have to use the jigsaw functions of either program to recreate the puzzle from within the program. One way that this can be done more easily is to use Richard's excellent SudokuGrabber to capture the givens and their positions, import those into SudokuSolver, and then define the nonet boundaries. You can then export the SumoCue code from the program to use elsewhere, if you wish.

I'm not sure whether JSudoku can use an existing jigsaw pattern to generate a new puzzle--I've never tried it.

On a side note, I'm working with Richard on a new puzzle code format for jigsaws that is less than half the size of SumoCue and is human-understandable as well. Hopefully SudokuSolver will import/export that code in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Here's another Web site that I found recently that generates jigsaw sudoku (among other types). I can't speak to the quality, but you can use SudokuGrabber to capture and interpret each of the grids so that the codes can be imported into SudokuSolver.

http://thinks.hopto.org/sudoku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:13 am 
Expert
Expert

Again thanks for the info.

Just curious, though, how do I only display the grid ( and the controls below the grid) in SS. That is, I don't want to display the dialog and other stuff that is to the right of the basic 9x9 grid. A standard sudoku puzzle is able to be displayed just showing the 9x9 grid and the controls below it.

I recall the sumocue program from Ruud, but never bothered with it, since I didn't care for the killer puzzles. I will have to look into the sudoku grabber function in SS. Haven't found it yet, though.

Geo

Last edited by nj3h on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 am 
Expert
Expert

I was able to paste a specific jigsaw pattern created in SS in sumocue format into Jsudoku and then create a jigsaw puzzle with that pattern being used.

Geo

Last edited by nj3h on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.