SudokuSolver Forum

A forum for Sudoku enthusiasts to share puzzles, techniques and software
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SudokuGrabber issue?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I have four puzzles that SudokuGrabber isn't handling, apparently. I've tried both loading and grabbing, but it's not doing anything (that I can see) when I click "Interpret". (Note that these are Non-Consecutive.) I can't see that they're any different from the puzzles I've already gotten SudokuGrabber to interpret successfully. Clicking "Show" gives me accurate grid lines, albeit the quality of the numbers is somewhat degraded. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: SudokuGrabber issue?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Admin

enxio27 wrote:
I have four puzzles that SudokuGrabber isn't handling, apparently. I've tried both loading and grabbing, but it's not doing anything (that I can see) when I click "Interpret". (Note that these are Non-Consecutive.) I can't see that they're any different from the puzzles I've already gotten SudokuGrabber to interpret successfully. Clicking "Show" gives me accurate grid lines, albeit the quality of the numbers is somewhat degraded. Any ideas?
With each of these, I managed to get a good interpretation by ensuring that the grid filled the left hand window. To so this, I used the red highlight rectangle and chose Crop, so it zoomed the image to full size.

I probably need to do a bit of playing about internally to work out why that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Red highlight rectangle? How do I invoke that?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

enxio27 wrote:
Red highlight rectangle? How do I invoke that?

Right mouse button and drag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:34 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

rcbroughton wrote:
Right mouse button and drag

Thanks! That seems to help.

After using the grabber very successfully for a while now, I seem to have run across a batch of puzzles that are giving me trouble. They come from a variety of sources.

In a number of cases, the left-most or right-most column(s) and/or the top or bottom row(s) are being truncated.

In several cases, empty cells are being interpreted as digits and vice versa, even on what appear to be clean images. Again, it seems to the edge column or two that is affected.

In a few cases, the training function seems to ignore what it's been told and goes right back to misinterpreting a digit.

Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be a way to retrain a blank cell that has been misinterpreted as a digit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The puzzles on this site are giving SudokuGrabber trouble, even when I crop and enlarge the grid to fill the left window.

http://jeux.kevicar.com/sudoku/sudoku_ninja.php

I've tried selecting Simple B/W for the Monochrome setting, and the resulting image seems quite clear, but the interpreter won't even try it. I'm guessing that the problem is the thick, doubled lines that form the cells.

Are there some settings I can try that might make it work a little better? Did you use the Grabber to get the puzzle definitions for the puzzles in the Ninja thread, or did you input those by hand?